Computer wiFi keeps disconnecting from Deco AX3000 and connects to M9+ that has weaker signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Computer wiFi keeps disconnecting from Deco AX3000 and connects to M9+ that has weaker signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-17 18:04:20
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20220407 Rel 69854

Good afternoon.  

I recently added an X55 V1.6 to my Deco mesh network as the main Deco.  I have three M9 Plus units for the rest of the house, due to architectural issues that limit signal.  The X55 is in the living room attached to the router.  my computer is about 10 feet away.  It is located under a desk, but has a cabled antenna that has almost direct line-of-sight to the X55.  However, the computer keeps switching to the other M9 units, despite the fact that they have weaker signal.  I have tried turning off beamforming and fast roaming, but it still will only connect to the X55 for only a couple of minutes before switching to another router.    

I can get it to connect to the X55 by shutting down all the M9s and then resetting my wifi on the PC, but within a couple of minutes of turning on the M9s, the PC has switched to one of them, with a weaker signal, and the requisite loss of speed.  I also see this behavior with my TV, which is literally 3 feet from the X55 router, with nothing in between.  I see this with several other things as well, such as my Pixel 6 phone and my iPhone.  

What can I do to stop this from happening?  It makes a major difference in the speed of my connection, often causing serious lag loading websites and while streaming. Is this possibly a bad router that I need to get repaired/replaced under warranty?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Computer wiFi keeps disconnecting from Deco AX3000 and connects to M9+ that has weaker signal
2022-07-18 11:47:01

@cvmashellfish 

Welcome to the community.

I don't think it is caused by a bad router. Deco X55 is wifi 6 and also uses WPA3 security and Deco M9 plus is wifi 5 with WPA2-AES. Sometimes the old devices, or not wifi 6 would have better compatibility with wifi 5 and will tend to connect to Deco M9 plus on their own.

For further assistance, Can you help me list the model number and operating system of the devices that are unable to link Deco X55?

Have you tried to turn off the "Mesh Technology" before plugging Deco M9 plus back?

Options
Re:Computer wiFi keeps disconnecting from Deco AX3000 and connects to M9+ that has weaker signal
2022-07-19 01:07:02 - last edited 2022-07-19 01:07:32

@David-TP  I turned off WPA3, and at least two of the devices that are having issues are WiFi6 compatible.  The computer is running Windows 11 (wifi 6 compatible wireless card), The Iphone 7 (probably not wifi 6 compatible) is running IOS 15.5, and the Google Pixel 6 (wifi 6 compatible) is running Android 12.  

Also, why would I turn off mesh technology?  Theat's literally the whole point of having the system of routers.If they won't work together in a mesh, why does TP-Link say they're compatible and work together?  

Options
2022-07-21 08:11:15

@cvmashellfish 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

Sorry for the delay.

Turning off the "Mech Technology" is a temporary suggestion trying to check whether it would cause the current issue and help us locate the issue. 

At the same time, I will also follow up on your case by email in case I need to forward your case to the senior engineers later.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-22 00:30:25

@David-TP 
OK, as a troubleshooting measure it makes sense.  It sounded like you meant to turn it off as a solution.  I will try that later when the family is not using things connected to all the different routers.  Or will everything still work without it being in mesh mode?

Thanks for opening the trouble ticket, and for your suggestins here.

Options
2022-07-22 01:24:47

@cvmashellfish 

Or will everything still work without it being in mesh mode?

Yes, and we only turn off the Mesh feature on the specific device, not all the LAN clients.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-22 23:24:04

@David-TP 

I just checked in the App and I don't have the option to turn off MeshTechnology?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 514

Replies: 6