Parental controls - missing feature

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-01 21:03:07
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.5

I upgraded from the Deco X20 which had built in Homeshield features to the XE5300 (X75?) where the Homeshield features (many of which were standard features in earlier routers) are subscription based.  This is prompting me to consider returning these and switching to another brand (Amplifi, Asus or others where they do not charge subscriptions for "standard" security and network management features. 

In the Deco X20, parental controls included app level controls, i.e. I could block apps like TikTok, Instagram, NOT just websites.  It is a surprise that the subscription service only allows website blocking, not app blocking.  Or is there a way to block apps that I am not seeing in their Homeshield function? The Deo 20 also allowed both application and device level QoS, in XE5300 only device level.

I would also like to see history of sites visited, apps used, by which device, is this available? 

Or do I need to buy a dedicated router with these features and just use the deco mesh as expensive access points?  I would rather buy dedicated netowrk management device than pay a subscription for sub-standard "HomeShield" function.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Parental controls - missing feature
2022-08-05 09:56:45

@Raosome 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I see you have posted the following threads about HomeSheild Parental control features.

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/576358

​​​​​​​https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/576354

The following information might be helpful:

1. Deco X20 V2 does not use HomeSheild and V1/V1.2/V2 still use HomeCare , V3 and above use HomeShield,

2. The clients' insight/browsing history is based on parental control and please make sure you have added the devices into the parental control profile.

And currently, It will only display the top 5 visited/blocked websites, not all of the sites.

f63f20cd268b4d808401c7810a604d99

3. HomeShield does not support blocking APPs, only websites/domain names.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Parental controls - missing feature
2022-09-19 18:26:22

@David-TP When will app blocking be added to HomeShield? Kids do not use wedsiites any longer. Everything is through an app. So the lack of this feature makes the parental controls useless.  I purchased the X90 thinking it was the latest and greatest technology but this one missing feature makes it years behind others. This could definately be deal breaker and cause for return.

Options