How Is The Enable VPN Server Feature On My Router Supposed To Work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-01 18:11:04
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 Build 20211118 rel.43110(5553)

Can someone explain how the Enable VPN Server feature of my router is supposed to work when I enable it?  I thought it was supposed to create a private tunnel and assign an alternate IP address for client devices on my network out to the internet so my real public IP address isn't visible to be tracked.  The VPN Connections in my router settings show I have a VPN IP assigned, however when I run IP config, it shows my internal private IP address, and then when I go to whatsmyip site, its showing the IP Address for the modem assigned by my ISP.  I would think that it should be showing the IP Address assigned by the OpenVPN Client.

Options
2 Reply
Re:How Is The Enable VPN Server Feature On My Router Supposed To Work
2022-09-01 21:38:17

@JBLT83,

The OpenVPN Feature on your router is not to enable a VPN, but rather to enable the VPN Server.

When devices are connected to your network, they will use the default connections, as many smart devices cannot handle passing their traffic through a VPN. To Connect your device to your VPN, you have to download the application from the store or the utility on from the OpenVPN site.

More information about the process and how to do so can be found here:How to use OpenVPN to access your home network through the Wi-Fi Routers (new logo)

Options
Re:How Is The Enable VPN Server Feature On My Router Supposed To Work
2022-12-20 20:24:30

@JBLT83 This feature is for creating an incoming VPN connection e.g. connecting to your home computer when out of town. For hiding your IP Address you need an external VPN service.

Options