Deco X50/X55 V1 1.2.0 with VPN/Static Route/MTU

Deco X50/X55 V1 1.2.0 with VPN/Static Route/MTU

22 Reply
Re:Deco X50/X55 V1 1.2.0 with VPN/Static Route/MTU
2023-03-13 22:47:50

@dwhiting56

Thanks for the input, we actually work very closely with our product team, and we are already having discussions about this feature.

Currently, the guest network for deco is automatically isolated from the rest of the network, at least according to our documentation.

I will forward the feedback that the toggles for SSID isolation should be given as an option for all broadcasted SSIDs(Guest, IoT, and Main), as I agree thatit would give everyone a lot more flexibility in their network. I have also added another request to add toggles for whether they can see devices on the same SSID.

The feature for multiple SSIDs is usually found in conventional router setups(think Archer) and is not often found in mesh setups due to the additional SSIDs needing to be broadcast across all nodes. I believe that there may also be a hardware limitation, as routers that offer this as a feature oftentimes have excess internal/external antennae that can be used to broadcast the extra bands. This is why the newest Wi-Fi 7 Archer has something like 12 antennas, as it can support a large number of extra SSIDs. If you 

What is the case for separating the devices from seeing each other oofc? I would think that this is something you would want to avoid, unless for a guest network?

Options
2023-03-13 22:56:43

@Riley_S 

Yeah, there's not a compelling reason to isolate within a network, except for Guest. But sometimes in software it's easier to just implement the general case, rather than several different specific configurations. But I would be very happy with a network that is isolated from the main one but all devices on that network can see each other.

Options
2023-03-14 02:11:24 - last edited 2023-03-14 02:13:35

@Riley_S On the topic of 'Isolation'... I want to isolate my IoT devices, which includes my Home Assistant VM. However, I need HA to communicate with my PC via mqtt. Is there a way to allow certain Windows-based apps on the home network to communicate with IoT network isolated devices? I realize, the intension of the isolation function, but any way to make this happen?

I could remove my HA VM from the isolation, but then I remove it from communicating with the other IoT devices.

Options
2023-03-26 01:21:03

@Riley_S 

BTW, I wanted to note that I had in fact seen these two options before, on the guest network of my old TP-Link Archer C9 router:

• Allow guests to see each other
  • Allow guests to access my local network

See the screenshot below. So this is a feature that you used to have on your routers. I always found it useful, and this is precisely what I would love to see on your new IoT network (as well as the guest network) on my Deco X55.

Thanks!

a647162c926349d0859bcb1fab705c53

Options
2023-04-09 16:02:00

@Riley_S I am trying to use this new VPN feature but am having issues.  I use NORD, and I download the config file and create a VPN client on the DECO app.  I then add my computer to the client list. Upon doing that, the computer no longer has access to the internet. Is there an additional step I'm missing?

Options
2023-04-10 18:21:55

@vondie,

Make sure that you download the Config File from your router and use the certificate in your PCs OpenVPN application to create the connection to the VPN server. If you are have not changed any settings on the PC, then the PC is still trying to funnel its traffic through the regular network, rather than to the VPN server - but does not have the certificate giving the permission to do so.

Options
2023-04-10 19:01:58

@Riley_S Not sure I completely follow.  I am using this guide - Setting-up-TP-Link-with-NordVPN HTML .which says to use the ovpn config file that nordvpn provides.  This advises downloading a ovpn config file from the nordvpn list. I don't see anywhere that I would download a config file from my router. 

You mentioned PC settings, I'm on a MAC - What settings would I update?

Options
2023-04-10 19:33:53

@vondie,

If I found the same guide as you, then that is specifically for our Archer Series of Routers, as they have had the ability to set this up for much longer. If I remember correctly from working with my QA team on this, the option to download configuration files for an established VPN can be found in a menu in the upper right three dots, when configuring your VPN - at least from the Deco app.

I would go through the recommended steps and connections offered by Nord, as OpenVPN connections require some sort of VPN application on your computer. They officially look like they recommend using tunnelback

Options
2023-04-10 19:47:37

Riley_S wrote

the option to download configuration files for an established VPN can be found in a menu in the upper right three dots, when configuring your VPN - at least from the Deco app.

@Riley_S I'm on the deco app, just updated today from the ios app store, but I do not see three dots or anywhere to download a certificate.

Options
2023-04-10 21:38:43 - last edited 2023-04-10 21:39:36

@dwhiting56,

I have actually just recently given this exact feedback to our teams. Mesh networks are more complicated to have multiple SSIDs because of all the nodes have to work together to create the mesh and manage the settings. I think that the multiple SSIDs may also be difficult because of the number of antennas that are in each node, as broadcasting an additional SSID could affect the performance of the other networks. 

We passed the isolation feedback to our team to consider, as the current method of being able to isolate devices individually, separate from a network setting, is unclear. However, having tested some of the newest communication protocols personally, such as Matter and Thread, I can see why they took this approach, as the line between IoT devices, controllers, and regular devices is becoming thinner and more reliant on local communication rather than cloud interactions.

Options
Related Articles