Can't access settings on RE650 when used as access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-14 17:53:43 - last edited 2023-03-14 17:57:22
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am using my RE650 as an access point: ethernet cable from my router to RE650 and connect all my devices to RE650's wifi. Can't seem to access the settings through http://tplinkrepeater.net/. It just gives me the default page suggesting two solutions to connect. Tried downloading the TP-Link Tether iOS app, but it does not find any devices as it seems to be trying to connect to TP-Link_Extender, which doesn't exist. Also tried connecting the RE650 and laptop via ethernet, but nothing happens - still can't access the http://tplinkrepeater.net/ (page not found).

When trying to access 192.168.1.254, I get the login page of my actual router, not RE650, even though I'm connected to wifi through RE650. Wifi is disabled on my original router.

Tried macOS, Windows 10, iOS and Android devices - all give the same outcome.

How can I access RE650's settings while using it as an access point?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can't access settings on RE650 when used as access point
2023-03-14 20:37:35

@eight,

I would recommend trying to use the IP of the device, as it does not require a redirect and is often more consistent. I was able to find this FAQ, How to Login to the Web-Based Interface on Your TP-Link Range extender, which includes instructions to verify that the IP given to the laptop is correct.

When the RE's are operating in Access Point Mode, the RE can only be reached when the phone/laptop is on the same segment of the your network. For this reason, the easiest way to do this is to wire a laptop directly to the Range Extender. This also applies to the Tether App, so if your device was not connected/communicating via the Range Extender, the Tether app would not see the device in AP mode; and it is also worth mentioning that some REs do not support the tether app while they are operating in AP mode; so it may be best to use the WebUi until you know if the RE650 supports Tether in AP mode.

Options
2023-03-15 15:55:57

I still could not connect through ethernet cable, but I managed to find the IP of RE650 on my wired router and access the device through that IP while connected to it through wifi.

Thanks for the help.

Options
2023-03-16 21:14:58

@eight,

Glad you got everything figured out. The IP address is always the best way to connect to our devices as it does not have to be translated or redirected, rather it establishes a direct link with the RE. For future info, the Router's Client List is not the only way to get the IP address of the device, you can also do so through a client computers network adapter.

How to log into the Web GUI of my Range Extender via IP address or domain name

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 379

Replies: 3

Related Articles