Questions about Tether App for AX55: (1) the client list (2) must require owner/manager permission

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Questions about Tether App for AX55: (1) the client list (2) must require owner/manager permission

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-13 01:48:54

hello, I am using Tether App to control my Ax55 wi-fi router and have questions about Tether App.  I have two questions about the App.

1.  Did anyone know how to delete the device names on the client list of Tether App?

Tether App keeps all the blocked devices on its Client list. Furthermore, my son’s XBOX can return onto the WI-FI network with a different MAC address even after I blocked it. Therefore, I have a lot of XBOX on my Tether App’s Client list; now I cannot block the XBOX  anymore, because Tether App said the maximum blocked devices are 16.      

2. Another question: Does Tether App has a feature, that is, before a device can get onto the network, it must get the owner/manager permission?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Questions about Tether App for AX55: (1) the client list (2) must require owner/manager permission
2023-06-13 16:25:19

@Jeremiah-CHAN,

The Process to delete a reservation should be the same as previously, and the steps can be found in this FAQ: Tether - Blocking and Unblocking Devices

For the MAC Address changing, this means that there is most likely a setting on the Xbox for "Private Addressing" or Randomized MAC, which is circumventing the parental controls you have set and giving a new MAC address each time it connects to the network. You should be able to disable the setting on your Xbox so that it may be properly tracked on the network.

It does look like there is an Alternate MAC Address that may have been set on the xbox to avoid the controls, this will need to be cleared to use the console's MAC address. 

For 'owner permission' i think what you are looking for is something called a captive portal, which requires an additional login - however, at a consumer level, captive portals are not often used and the Wi-Fi password suffice and captive portals usually cause more issues than they are worth.

Options
Re:Questions about Tether App for AX55: (1) the client list (2) must require owner/manager permission
2023-06-18 17:39:24

@Riley_S   Thanks very much for your reply.   The info of FAQ: Tether - Blocking and Unblocking Devices   just showed how to unblock the clients. I want to delete them completely. 

The answer for the changing MAC Address is very helpful.

For the permission of joining the network, using the password is not a good approach. here is the reason. Imagine in a family, you have two parents, one college student, one high schooler, and one middle schooler, and one elementary schooler. If you want to have different controls over the access of these 4 different types of family members.  how many times per day will you need to change password if you need to remove the access for one of family members?  and also each time when you change the password, you need to notify the other members who are allowed to continue to access the network. 

However, if the owner/manager can give a permission for each login, that will make it much easier. Hope the elaboration will offer better understanding for you. 

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Riley_S wrote

@Jeremiah-CHAN,

The Process to delete a reservation should be the same as previously, and the steps can be found in this FAQ: Tether - Blocking and Unblocking Devices

For the MAC Address changing, this means that there is most likely a setting on the Xbox for "Private Addressing" or Randomized MAC, which is circumventing the parental controls you have set and giving a new MAC address each time it connects to the network. You should be able to disable the setting on your Xbox so that it may be properly tracked on the network.

It does look like there is an Alternate MAC Address that may have been set on the xbox to avoid the controls, this will need to be cleared to use the console's MAC address. 

For 'owner permission' i think what you are looking for is something called a captive portal, which requires an additional login - however, at a consumer level, captive portals are not often used and the Wi-Fi password suffice and captive portals usually cause more issues than they are worth.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 282

Replies: 2

Related Articles