Archer AX21 as Extender with Google Fiber. Is this possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-26 15:24:47
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have been experiencing issues with my Google Fiber Modem, despite having a newer version with an extender. The main concern is related to the range, and to address this, I called a Google Tech for assistance. During the technician's visit, we discussed the range issues, and he suggested a potential solution: purchasing an IPv6 router and using it as an extender to improve the range.

Since networking is not my strong suit, I followed the technician's advice and purchased an Archer AX21 router. To extend the range, I connected it to the Google Modem using a LAN cable. This setup has resulted in a stronger signal in the far corners of the house. However, the Archer router has created a second network, which can be confusing for my wife. She prefers to have a single network if possible.

Did I misunderstand the technician's explanation regarding using the Archer router as an extender. Is there a way to make it work as an extension of my primary network instead of creating a separate network? Any guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer AX21 as Extender with Google Fiber. Is this possible?
2023-07-27 18:32:19

@Traylor1,

You have a few options for your setup, but first, did you setup the AX21 in AP Mode or in Router Mode?

If in AP Mode, it will act as an extension of the network provided by your Google Fiber network. You may set the name of the SSID of the AX21 to match the network name of the ISP  network. If you did nothing to your Gateway from your ISP, you should set up the Archer in AP mode for the best experience.

If you are using Router Mode, you would need first to enable bridge mode, or IP passthrough mode, which will essentially turn the ISP Gateway into a Modem, instead of a modem-router combo. This would allow you to use only the network of the Archer

I would recommend taking a look at the coverage of your networks to see if you really need the ISP's Wi-Fi. If the Archer Provides enough coverage, I would recommend using the router mode and changing the mode of the gateway as this should eliminate some sources of interference.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2023-07-31 15:40:36
I connected with the Tether app. I am unsure using this app which mode I am in. How could I find out?
Options
2023-08-03 21:34:38

@Traylor1,

If configured via the Tether App, I believe that the device is first setup as a Router - I can't find an FAQ right now to show exactly where the option is for routers, but from the Tether App, you should be able to change to an Access Point via the Operation Mode menu. I believe this is in the advanced network settings or under 'Tools'

This is for REs but it will be in a similar location: 

aadfa7274e7743a583b02b1b802e2846

Otherwise, we have quite a few resources on how to change the setting via the web interface:

You can follow the guide in this FAQ to change the operation mode via the Web Interface: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1384/

I would, however recommend taking a look at the User Guide for your specific router as Page 18 provides screenshots and a better process for changing the operation mode:

Archer AX21 User Guide

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 909

Replies: 3

Related Articles