XE5300 Top Ethernet Port not Working

2023-07-28 22:22:26
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6

Hello,

Over the ownership of the Deco XE5300 I noticed my one laptop dock wired to port 1 (top most port) Ethernet of the 2nd Deco stop getting an IP address and was assigned APIPA 169.254.x.x. Now my Synology NAS is not getting an ip address either after power cycling on the main Deco, also the top most port. I rebooted the Decos and the NAS. All Decos are connected via Ethernet on the second ports and Ethernet backhaul is enabled. Is there a fix for this? No issue with 2.4/5/6 GHz wireless ever.

Options
24 Reply
Re:XE5300 Top Ethernet Port not Working
2023-07-31 06:09:47

@Breaktackle 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Could you please help me run a simple test:

1. Temporarily unplug satellite XE5300 from the main XE5300.

2. Connect Synology NAS to the middle port of main XE5300.

Will the NAS be able to have internet and get a correct IP address?

Then you could run a similar test on the satellite XE5300. Will the laptop Dock be able to have internet when connecting to the bottom port of satellite XE5300?

If only the top ports failed to work on both Deco XE5300, you could email to reach the local support team to ask for warranty service.

Best regards.

Options
2023-10-07 19:04:44

@David-TP 

i have same issue

Options
2023-10-31 10:39:58 - last edited 2023-10-31 10:45:48

@David-TP Thank you for this information and I'm sorry it has taken so long to respond.  I have disconnected the Ethernet backhaul and both the middle and bottom ports are working on the satellite now.  I have configured the main deco with the Synology on the middle port and that is working.  However, the firmware has been updated to 1.2.8 in the meantime as well (Build 20230901 Rel. 36505).  Is there a reason to use the middle port on the main and the bottom port on the satellite?  Is there a correct way to hook up the Ethernet backhauls on the satellites?  It is looking like Ethernet backhaul from main Deco to first satellite does not work on top port of satellite and needs center port.

Options
2023-11-07 16:30:29

@David-TP Hello, the third satellite is not connecting via Ethernet backhaul to the second satellite.  It is working wirelessly but signal is 2/3 bars, would really like to Ethernet connect for the best performance.

Options
2023-11-13 23:28:20

@Breaktackle Same issue.

Top port - sporadic, slow 50 down, 30 up, some packet loss. Doesn't show activity on switch.

- changed cables. same

- firmware is up to date.

- used port 2 to connect to switch. activity light worked, traffic was at max speed 500/500

Oddly, after about 2 hours, same slow speeds showed up for devices

I'm at a loss right now. Is there a better admin portal for the router?

Options
2023-11-15 08:41:02

@Akra5ia 

Hi, Could the top port be back to normal temporarily after a power restart of Deco?

Or how often would its link speed drop to 50 down, 30 up?

By the way, did this issue just start recently?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-11-15 21:02:02 - last edited 2023-11-15 21:06:33

@Breaktackle and @David-TP

I just had this happen to my mesh yesterday. The top port on my main unit just stopped working. I installed newest firmware and reboot, no help.

My temporary work around is the switch that was plugged into the top (now dead) port, is now daisy chained into the switch that is plugged into the middle port, so those devices are working again.  

Seems odd that these units are all failing at once like this?

Options
2023-11-16 00:56:08

@Insaneoctane 

Hi, if you restart the main Deco, are you able to get the top port back to life?

If the port is still unresponsive, you could refer to this link to switch to a different unit as the main Deco:

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Then reset this problematic unit by holding the reset pinhole for 1s and check whether it would make any difference to the top port.

Unfortunately, if both suggestions fail, I am afraid you need to contact the local warranty office for a warranty request.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support/#Warranty-Support

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-11-16 12:09:47

@Akra5ia Is that just wireless traffic or both?  I had some slowdowns over WiFi that I traced to the channel width.  I'm speculating if the access points are close enough together there could be some interference overlap.  Reducing the channel width eliminated this issue wirelessly but if it's wired I feel like there could be a firmware issue with the ports.

Options
2023-11-16 16:01:54

@Breaktackle Wired and Wireless. 

I ended up swapping my "Garage" AP with the "Main" AP that was having the port issue. Did the recommended steps from a comment above. All three ports of the "Garage" unit work. I renamed them for convienience but it all worked and took about 5 minutes to do the swap. Now both the wired and wireless are showing similar speeds. Rough 500/500 down/up. 

I have no idea why all of us are experiencing this at relativlely the same time. it wasn't from a firmware update, at least not an immediate result of the firmware update. I can't see any details of the ports or manage them via the Deco app or the website so I am in the dark on what the error is. It was super strange for me. I wasn't showing a link status on my switch for port 1 but I was still getting traffic at the slow speeds with packet loss (30/7 down/up). I replaced cables which didn't do anything. When I changed from the top port to the middle port, link status came up and the speeds were fine.

Now that I have swapped units, it is working as expected but I am not holding my breath because whatever caused the port to fail in the first place, could happen again to the AP I replaced Main with. We shall see.

Options