Deco M5 Setup in Access Point mode- Dual Band version

2023-10-10 18:57:14
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have purchased the Dual Band version and I want to use it in Access Mode.

What I want to achieve, if it is possible, is to user my existing router as a source, then place in a neighboring room the 1st of the two unit in a neighboring room, and the 2nd one in a different room. And the network I will be using will be my router's existing one, without creating a new network through the Deco unit. This, I thought, would be achieved without using any Ethernet cables (at least after the initial setup). Is such a thing possible?

All 'tutorials' on Access Point mode have no information whatsoever in this mode, they just display the option through the App. Any tips/information on what I described would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Setup in Access Point mode- Dual Band version
2023-10-11 07:04:19

@Zed_Kay 

Hi, Welcome to the community.

It is okay to use the existing router as a source, but the first main Deco needs to be connected to the existing router via an Ethernet cable.

Deco would also broadcast its own Wi-Fi network and to avoid two separate WiFi networks, you could disable the Wi-Fi on the existing router, and give Deco the same SSID and password as the original network.

However, if your initial plan is to wirelessly extend the network of the existing router, you could look at our wireless range extenders here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/

How to Choose the Best WiFi Booster

Best regards.

Options
2024-01-01 02:42:08

@David-TP 

I read on the Support FQA "When the Deco system works in Access Point mode, there must be the main Router in front of the main Deco, providing Internet. In this case, the main Deco and other Deco units are basically equal, they are clients of the main Router."

After reading other posts, I see AP does not lead to the Deco unit taking on the SSID of the main router. It does not make sense to me that they have their own SSID. I guess I should have just gotten a wireless extender as I have my Comcast router/gateway in my first floor office with ethernet connection to Deco main unit on second floor  which is wifi connected to ancillary units by front door and in garage. A wireless printer on the first floor in another room from my office will not print from my office computer, presumably because it is linked to a different network (the Deco network) from my computer (Comcast router). I tried changing to Access Point mode and it did not change anything. But the Deco signal is not strong enough in my office for my office devices to connect. So I am stuck with 2 networks if I want full-house coverage.

Are there any other suggestions besides trashing this whole thing and just getting a couple of wireless extenders? The information describing how this functions was misleading. The official description of Access Point mode made it sound like the Deco took on the SSID of the main router.

Options
2024-01-05 10:03:05

@psycho56 

Hi, I think you could consider disabling the Wi-Fi network on the main router, leaving Deco the only wireless Mesh network available(with the same SSID as the main router).

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 245

Replies: 3

Related Articles