Tplink sucks now

Tplink sucks now

Tplink sucks now
Tplink sucks now
2024-01-05 08:08:44
Model: RE500X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

Tplink used to be great, but now they are terrible. I keep buying new stuff to keep up with the new tech and it just keeps getting worse. Tplink can't seem to handle wifi6 AT ALL and they are pushing wifi7? Get your gear straight with one version before moving to the new one! I was going to set up new equipment and buy all new smart switches for just about everything in my house until about a month ago. Now I'm probably gonna send all my tplink junk back, even if I don't get the full price back. This stuff is such garbage now that it is barely usable. I had no problems before some firmware updates and then starting to run more wifi6 stuff on my network that is supposed to be well within my hardware spec. Now my simple mesh system of only a few devices drops my 5g band every couple days and can't even seem to handle the default settings that come on my extenders. I'm not a power user, and have a pretty simple set up and they can't even seem to handle that. There's no reason I should need to modify and neuter my hardware, just to get it to work, simply, because tplink wants to add some stupid new service, that nobody wants to try and make a few more bucks. I'm so tired of companies taking advantage of us to work out their bugs and do their R&D work for them. I'm so fed up right now, I might just switch back to wired connections. I loved tplink for many years, and that is why I can hate them soooo much now... they have let me down in an epic fashion. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tplink sucks now
2024-01-05 21:53:49

Hey @Smakmauz,

Have you been able to get in contact with our support teams yet?

Normally, when the 5GHz band disconnects, it is due to the distance between the router and the RE. For testing, if you move the RE to the same room as the Router, does the 5GHz disappear? It would also be worth checking to make sure that it is not the 5GHz devices across your entire network. Don't forget that 5GHz connections cannot travel as far as the 2.4GHz band and are also susceptible to additional.

Also, what firmware version are you currently running? The latest firmware update download is from 2021 - is there something else in your network that may have recently changed or updated?

Lastly, I would also recommend minimizing your channel width and making sure that you are not using a DFS channel. DFS channels are reserved for official/government communications, and the router will take down the 5GHz network if a DFS transmission on the used channels is detected.

Options
Re:Tplink sucks now
2024-01-06 23:33:09

@Riley_S 

I'm well within the range of the main router. I know that 5khz doesn't travel through structures and walls as well as 2.4khz. I'm running all the latest firmware, and I believe that to be the problem. Tplink is so focused on their stupid home shield that the other stuff is taking a back seat. Nothing changed on my network infrastructure except the firmware they pushed out. Problems started after that and weren't corrected all the way with the latest one. I've tried increasing my DHCP lease time to max. It works for a couple days and then drops 5g. I've tried reserving the IP addresses of my fixed location REs and no improvements their either.

I had been running all default settings from tplink. Why would i need to narrow my channel width when the products are sold advertising working on all the frequencies? I am in a rural area on 5 acres with very minimal interference from anyone else near by. I have starlink internet with a very fast and stable connection and my tplink hardware had been working perfectly for months. If this were a DFS problem, wouldn't I have had trouble from the start? This problem just started at random a couple months ago. It seems to me to be a tplink problem. 

I read through the DFS thing you sent but I don't really understand what it means for my situation. Are you saying I should manually change my channel? I've looked at my channel utilization and it seems to be on 36 most of the time on my phone but the tests always say my congestion is perfect. If I need to change my channel manually, I would need to do that on ALL my connected devices to keep the channel from getting congested right? Isn't that the whole point of having the auto setting that is supposed to work on the routers and REs?

Riley_S wrote

Hey @Smakmauz,

Have you been able to get in contact with our support teams yet?

Normally, when the 5GHz band disconnects, it is due to the distance between the router and the RE. For testing, if you move the RE to the same room as the Router, does the 5GHz disappear? It would also be worth checking to make sure that it is not the 5GHz devices across your entire network. Don't forget that 5GHz connections cannot travel as far as the 2.4GHz band and are also susceptible to additional.

Also, what firmware version are you currently running? The latest firmware update download is from 2021 - is there something else in your network that may have recently changed or updated?

Lastly, I would also recommend minimizing your channel width and making sure that you are not using a DFS channel. DFS channels are reserved for official/government communications, and the router will take down the 5GHz network if a DFS transmission on the used channels is detected.

Options