Add support for wireguard?

2024-01-31 10:14:24 - last edited 2024-02-27 00:18:32
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

I was attempting to add a VPN client to my router when I noticed that there was no option for wireguard with this specific model (or series). I was wondering why there is no support for wireguard even though it is far more performant then something like openVPN. Would it be possible for wireguard support to be added via a firmware update? Is wireguard support being worked on? If the answer is no to these previous questions I would like to ask why there will not be support on this line of router even though there is on many other TP-link routers.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Add support for wireguard?-Solution
2024-01-31 18:00:21 - last edited 2024-02-27 00:18:32

@littlejack,

Using a VPN on Deco was only just added in the last year of firmware updates, starting with the otherr protocols such as OpenVPN. Wireguard support is definitely something that our teams are working on as the feature has been added to other models -  we are even working with Surfshark and Wireguard to provide a streamlined setup for Wire-Guard-based VPNs. 

I would recommend keeping an eye out for firmware updates to your Deco, and making sure that your app is up to date so the feature will show when available to your model. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any insights into when a specific model will receive a firmware update or feature, but I will see what I can dig up.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Add support for wireguard?-Solution
2024-01-31 18:00:21 - last edited 2024-02-27 00:18:32

@littlejack,

Using a VPN on Deco was only just added in the last year of firmware updates, starting with the otherr protocols such as OpenVPN. Wireguard support is definitely something that our teams are working on as the feature has been added to other models -  we are even working with Surfshark and Wireguard to provide a streamlined setup for Wire-Guard-based VPNs. 

I would recommend keeping an eye out for firmware updates to your Deco, and making sure that your app is up to date so the feature will show when available to your model. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any insights into when a specific model will receive a firmware update or feature, but I will see what I can dig up.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Add support for wireguard?
2024-02-15 20:03:33
I have a Deco XE75 and I do not see the options for selecting either Surfshark or NordVPN in the list and no wireguard option either. Is this some unreleased firmware version? I am at 1.2.9
Options
2024-02-24 19:39:33
I do not understand why the deco user guide shows a setup for WireGuard server & client although for real : it is not available. I bought the x75 two months ago, for good part because this feature was advertised. Some user now write that the hardware is not powerful enough, so the support will never be added. Some moderators on this forum assure the feature is on its way. The quarterly update 1.2.9 is just out and there nothing in it. This is a real disappointment.
Options
2024-02-27 00:17:42

@bakedbugaboo I believe this is because they use the same guide for all of their deco products rather than altering it for every single device and then inevitably needing to alter each one again when they get a firmware update that adds a feature. I do think they should make it easier to tell what products currently have what features. I did find a list of their supported devices for some features on the current firmware, but it was not easy to find, and I do not remember it being overly helpful.

Options
2024-03-05 22:22:58

Which Deco models currently support this feature? 

For now, these models support this feature: Deco X95 , Deco X50 , Deco W3600( V2 ) , Deco X20( V4 ) , Deco X75 , Deco X55 , Deco X68( V2 ) , Deco X25( V3 V4 ) , Deco BE85 , Deco BE95 , Deco XE75 Pro , Deco XE200 , Deco WE10800( V2 V2.6 ) , Deco X4300 Pro , Deco X5000 , Deco W6000 , Deco X50-Outdoor , Deco XE5300 , Deco W7200( V2 V2.6 ) , Deco X5400 Pro , Deco X90 , Deco XE75 , Deco X60( V3 V4 ) with support for additional models continuing to roll out. 

--

*Please Note: This feature is currently only available within the US and supports WireGuard-based setup. It is also dependent on your model's VPN functions. Both VPN compatibility and an update adding WireGuard VPN compatibility to your model are required.

The above is from TP-Link website.  I bought the X5000 loaded the latest firmware and followed the instructions (which do not match the VPN configuration function!!!) and only the OpenVPN protocol is shown.  Like many of you I bought this mesh system with the understanding it supported WireGaurd.  TP-Link support is no help,just keeps asking me if I want to setup OpenVPN.  

Options
2024-03-21 01:27:26

@Mmest55 

I have a Deco mesh network comprised of 2x BE85 and 2x XE75 pro and this option doesn't appear for me.

As per your above note, both models support it (which doesn't really matter because my main deco is a BE85 and you said it supports it) 

So what do I need to do for this option to appear on my app and I am able to setup the VPN client connection with Wireguard ?

Thank you

Nuno

Options
2024-03-21 15:26:53

@Rider 

Sorry for any misunderstanding.  I should have been clearer on the post.  The last paragraph of my post says the above (the part you are referring to) is from TP-Link website.  This is what TP-Link says is supported.  My point of the post is that even though TP-Link says supported, I found this not to be true, in my case a X5000 Deco system.  Many others in the post state similar frustrations, TP-Link website is wrong.  I am returning my TP-Link system due to this and the fact that even using OpenVPN It is woefully under powered, less than a 20mbps VPN connection.  I do not have Wireguard running on my system, because it is not available despite TP-Link saying it is.

Options
2024-03-26 11:29:56 - last edited 2024-03-26 11:30:43

Yes you are right, I am echoing your disappointment 

I have the brand new BE85 system and also noted that Wireguard is not supported. I mean, come on ... they even have tutorials about how to set it up and this is the brand new system. What system are the tutorials for then ?

Can someone please let us know when is the Wireguard support for which system going to be available ?

Thank you

Options
Tuesday

@littlejack I have Deco X60 in the UK which is on firmware version 1.2.5 Build 20200106 Rel.2319 but i can't see wireguard option in VPN I see in list of devices which support wireguard has this model but I can't see. do anyone know when it will be going to be available in deco x60 in UK?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 660

Replies: 9

Related Articles