Using a LAN device as DNS Server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-20 02:26:30
Model: Archer AX90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20220321 rel.13967(5553)

I have a wireless router serving multiple devices.  I'd like one of these devices to also serve as the DNS server, as I was able to do with the Archer C7.  However, when I do this with the AX90, it throws a fit:

I have the DNS server set to use a MAC address reservation at a fixed IP address in the AX90, so it will always (mostly) come up with the same address

I have set the AX90 to use this fixed IP address as the DNS server

However, as soon as click "save" in the DNS server setting, I get lots of "thinking" and the AX90 will eventually switch IP address subnets (i.e. from 192.168.1.* to 192.168.2.*, and reassigns all DHCP clients, and takes away the address reservation previously assigned to the DNS server).  I will then get an error saying it did so to avoid a conflict.

Apparently, the DNS server cannot live in the same subnet, and this is a new restriction, perhaps?  I seem to recall having this same setup working when I had an Archer C7, but perhaps I did something slightly different in that case?

For instance, an address reservation for the DNS server that is on a different subnet?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Using a LAN device as DNS Server
2022-09-22 16:50:06

@aaronb1,

One thing that I did notice while browsing through the emulator for your device is that it is possible to change DNS settings in two different places. The place for which you are looking is on the main page, under the internet, and then there will be a dropdown for advanced settings. I have seen a few users try to change their DNS settings in the DHCP server settings, which is not necessarily the case for every local-DNS server.

Options
Re:Using a LAN device as DNS Server
2022-10-30 00:00:01 - last edited 2022-10-30 00:01:39

@aaronb1 

I am seeing the same behavior on my AX55 and it seems to be related to a hidden function that automatically changes the gateway as it identifies the DNS Server as a conflicting gateway.

Router changes IP to 192.168.1.1, a fix I hope can help others

IP reservations not working

Someone posted a potential solution for the AX11000 as @Riley_S suggested. I would love to hear if setting a DNS server on the same subnet as the primary gateway would be possible with a firmware update. I am also looking into the XE75 system, but only if we can confirm that this hidden function does not exist in that firmware.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 462

Replies: 2

Related Articles