Frustrated with my Deco X20s

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-03 00:51:45
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20230517

I've recently taken a new job which requires a lot of data upload and download (terabytes worth). I upgraded my internet speeds as high as they'll go (1000 down/25 up) and replaced an ISP-provided single Arris modem/route unit with three Deco X20s and a NightHawk router. I think I'm running V6 on the Decos but I can't seem to find the hardware version to confirm. I've also recently gotten into cloud gaming.

I'm becoming frustrated with the management of my mesh system and the devices I'm using. Devices don't seem to seamlessly roam between Decos very quickly at all. I'm often forced to flip WiFi off and back on in order to get it to reconnect to the nearest Deco, but even then it rarely chooses the closest Deco. It seems to automatically connect to the Deco most frequently used on that device. On top of that, it automatically chooses which band to run on. Cloud gaming and data uploads are wildly slow on 2.4 and I cannot switch it manually to 5 for individual devices.

My friend has the AX4300 Pros and has the option to manage "Connection Preferences" for individual devices. It feels like this is the option I've been looking for but it seems the X20s don't support it. Can anyone confirm? Should I have gone with a different model that would allow me to micromanage all my devices like I'm trying to do? It seems like to X20s are more of a "set it and forget it" deal but for what I'm doing for work and gaming, set it and forget it isn't cutting it. I'm willing to replace the X20s if I can get the functionality I'm looking for. Oooor TP Link could just add those options into the next app/firmware update and save me a few hundred bucks.

While I'm making requests, it would be really nice to set bandwidth limits on individual devices. I'd like to throttle the computer that's uploading overnight for a few hours in the evening so we can watch TV then turn the throttle off just before bed so it can run full speed overnight.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Frustrated with my Deco X20s
2023-08-03 03:37:33

@phtmtt 

Hi, welcome to the community. Actually, I see your current firmware supports connection preference already.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-x20/v4.6/#Firmware

You could refer to this link to configure connection preference on Deco APP:

How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-03 13:40:59

@David-TP thanks David, I appreciate the response. A little more clarification: my X20s are the AX1800 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System. The main is V3.6, the two satellites are 4.6 (purchased separately). 

The link you provided for the firmware is indeed the firmware I'm running on my devices. However, following the user guide you sent me, there is still no option to manage connection preferences for individual devices. I've attached a screenshot of the main Deco as well as a screenshot of my laptop, neither of which shows an option for managing connection preferences.

I will also note that my laptop is connected to my basement Deco that's two floors below me even though the main Deco is only one floor below me and far closer.

26b311a2afe742ab83c3fd3deab516eb3eca0eb8125846f5ae33b7618df49049

Options
2023-08-08 00:17:30

@phtmtt bumping this. Can anyone help?

Options
2023-08-08 05:01:28

@phtmtt Have you tried set up the 4.6 as main unit? Then connect the other 4.6 and test to see if you see preference option before connecting the 3.6 one. I would reset everything before attempting that.

phtmtt wrote

@phtmtt bumping this. Can anyone help?

Options