Ethernet to Satellite over wifi backhaul throughput

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-19 21:35:44

First, feedback on support from TP-Link,  TP-Link support service has a lot of issue they need to doc and resolve.  The company is rolling out a lot of great products, but support services is not keeping up the pace, they are found lacking in several areas; outdated troubleshooting procedure, lacking website navigation, even current models on not on the list of values on this community support form to create a post, just a lot of missing pieces here, which is making me have second thoughts about some other products I'm looking at.

But to try to save other customers from wasting time with the support portal, I will share this here.

If you want to connect your pc directly to a deco satellite it is supported.  However, if you are new to Gigabyte speeds it's possible your ethernet properties need to be tweaked to get the higher throughput. 

Here's my case:

Running Windows 10

Xfinity 1G service to Technicolor cable modem that support Wifi6/6e / 1+Gbps Ethernet service

Initially connected with motherboard wifi, received 160Mbps down

Connected Cat 5e from Ethernet port to Deco Satellite, received +/- 110 Mbps down

Contacted support as I knew I could get 500 Mbps down as I was using a Moca connection previously over same ethernet port and getting 500 to 600 Mbps

Support team script had them telling me to take my desktop and connect directly to Deco Main to test, ethernet and wifi, well I couldn't do that as my setup is as a work bench and components are not in a case.

Support would not go further.  I provide netstats to support what i was telling them 164 Mbps at port.

I asked about drivers, they said no to drivers.  I was thinking ethernet properties but they didn't seem to want to go there.

So I ended session with support,

Connecting Ethernet cat 5e to Deco X4300 Satellite extender, here's what i did to get over 500Mbps again

My setup:

Motherboard: Asrock Z370 Pro4, which supports 10Gpbs over Ethernet

Windows 10:

Start > Setting > Network & Internet > Change Adaptor Options

or Windows command window search "Network Connections"

double click on target ethernet adaptor listed (also menu item above to do same) Intel (R) Ethernet Connection

you should see Configure button under "Connect using:", click to open

on new dialog switch to Advance tab

On left side look for property "Jumbo Packet"

Mine was in "Disable" status, if yours is in 4088 or 9014, then this may not be your issue

I changed to 9014 and click Ok on dialog

Retest Ethernet using Ookla Desktop Speed Tester, now getting 500Mbps down, 110Mbps up

On my Wifi connection speed being 160Mbps one foot from Satellite, I did try enabling Throughput Booster, that increased Wifi speed to 190+ up. I didn't investigate further than this.

Hope this helps, still would have liked to have experienced the promise but don't have time to figure it out and have to assume it would be a long drawn out experience with supprot to get there. At least I can like with 500+Mbps.

Recommendation to TP-Link to develop a windows base tool set comprising of scripts to check known settings issues without running the customer through the support hurdles, it will pay for itself in saved support hours.  I suggest windows based as I'm confident this is where most of the issues

Options
1 Reply
Re:Ethernet to Satellite over wifi backhaul throughput
2023-08-21 19:10:23

@markimark8,

We are actually working to update all of our documentation and processes right now, with even a larger community update in the works which should ease some of your concerns.

As for the setting that you found, I actually did not know about this troubleshooting step - after looking into it, its support varies by manufacturer, so this may be why you needed to change the default setting.

I will put your troubleshooting steps into a Knowledge Base article so that it can be easier to find - are there any other settings that you believe should be checked through this method? For the most part, the only setting that we often recommend changing has to do with auto-negotiation, IPv6, or Wake-on-LAN.

A Troubleshooting tool could definitely help, however, I believe that many would, unfortunately, have privacy concerns about executing scripts on a PC. I would suspect that a tool like this would be found moreso in windows or a windows application - especially since PC hardware can vary so much.

Are there any other major concerns that you think our teams could work to improve on?

Options