3.0.2 breaks scenes on Android

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-03 12:00:35 - last edited 2022-10-08 08:19:19
Tags: #Bug

As per the other thread about iOS, v3.0.2 does​​​ break Scenes on Android.

The [enforced] upgrade has the same effect across 4 android devices, running 3 versions of Android

• Base state
    • c6b7f1fa6e85496680a5c9a9392cee19
    •  
  • What TV running (bottom right)
    • 455bac93e2f64d3585bc1f3e1b555800
    •  
  • Error state
    • e4e01e4da2844758ba205e06801ae2f8
Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:3.0.2 breaks scenes on Android-Solution
2022-10-06 12:01:59 - last edited 2022-10-08 08:19:19
**BREAKING NEWS** [Pardon the irony] Scenes ARE working now!!
Recommended Solution
Options
[Solution] Scene does not work with the Andriod Kasa APP 3.0.2, error: ' This condition does not exist' -Solution
2022-10-08 09:08:03 - last edited 2022-10-08 11:45:57

Hello everyone, 
Thank you for feedback in regard to the Scene feature in the new Android Kasa 3.0 APP. Glad to know the Scene now works for you. 
Here we'd like to share some details about the fix so the new community users can see the information in full or provide additional feedback.

Phenomenon: 

Applies to: Andriod Kasa APP 3.0.2

Some android users may find the Scene function does not work in the new Android Kasa APP 3.0.2, the app prompts ‘This condition doesn’t exist ‘ message when run a Scene.

Solution: 

There was a fix with Scene feature since 6th/7th Oct 2022 ,  users should be able to use the Scene in the Andriod app directly, with no need for changing Scene settings or reinstalling the app. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This topic will be closed later after the  fix .  If you still have trouble using Scene in the Kasa APP, please Start a New Thread in the community, you may share some information below: 

1)the  Kasa APP version (confirm the app is up-to-date)  

2) the photo of the Scene settings and error message

3) the model of your mobile device and its Andriod or IOS version 

Thank you all for the feedback ~

Related Articles:

[New Kasa APP] Kasa APP 3.0

New Kasa Application Launching

Recommended Solution
Options
16 Reply
Re:3.0.2 breaks scenes on Android
2022-10-03 23:56:37

@RomseyGuy,

Is this a scene that was imported from the Kasa 2.0 app?

What were the settings of the scene? I know that a lot of the backend systems for scene creation changed, so I'm wondering if there is one setting in your scene that is preventing the automations from running. Any chance you can experiment with changing the conditions and settings to see if you can find a specific setting/device/action causing the error.

Options
2022-10-04 08:03:45

@Riley_S 

The Scene pictured is a migrated Scene yes.

However I see exactly the same behaviour on a brand new created wholly in V3 - no difference observable to me.

The Scenes are all only turns sockets on or off - nothing fancy.

All were in regular use prior to the upgrade.

Options
2022-10-04 08:09:08
In your reply to https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/583770 you mention that the issue is due to the Apple APP store publishing the update before Google Play store. I don't think that the evidence supports that view now. Is that the case, or is there a nuance I'm missing?
Options
2022-10-04 08:19:08

@Riley_S 

I have created the simplest possible new routine - pictured below. As noted previously it fails in exactly the same fashion [AFAICT] as migrated scenes.

a6e7c7128e75479db2c2ab1a2626e4d8

d7383d832cf84ed49a9a1487b1907533

- note the New identifier

93addc63c19a495d950b61333f516bdf

Unless there is something peculiar about my situation somehow, I don't see how this upgrade can possibly have been tested appropriately!

Regards Guy 

Options
2022-10-04 16:37:55

@RomseyGuy,

There is a separate issue that was a result of the app releases. Users would sometimes get stuck at the Need to Update Screen, and the update wasn't available.

This isn't a part of what you are experiencing. From our bug tracker, it looks like we are tracking similar behavior with different devices, however, I do not believe that our tracked issue throws the Condition Unknown Error, so I will add it to the report. I believe that there will be a lot of backend fixes that occur over the next week as more users transition to the new system. 

The development team has also stated that there are updates for the application that will patch these bugs soon, I think they are just waiting on the regular 3.0 migration to rollout to all users. My and my coworkers personal account just received the update through the app store today, so hopefully, and update will be available soon

Options
2022-10-04 17:13:54

@Riley_S 

Riley_S wrote

@RomseyGuy,

There is a separate issue that was a result of the app releases. Users would sometimes get stuck at the Need to Update Screen, and the update wasn't available.

This isn't a part of what you are experiencing. From our bug tracker, it looks like we are tracking similar behavior with different devices, however, I do not believe that our tracked issue throws the Condition Unknown Error, so I will add it to the report. I believe that there will be a lot of backend fixes that occur over the next week as more users transition to the new system. 

The development team has also stated that there are updates for the application that will patch these bugs soon, I think they are just waiting on the regular 3.0 migration to rollout to all users. My and my coworkers personal account just received the update through the app store today, so hopefully, and update will be available soon

Doesn't bode well IMHO

I've been forced to undergo the upgrade which breaks my system - the app just wouldn't continue until the upgrade was performed.

AFAIK the app is the only way to interact with the devices - other than going via Google/Samsung.

Is there an open API that I can write to? Then I can write my own code.

Options
2022-10-04 18:41:29

Since the update I am getting these symptoms:

T1) Cannot run ANY of my old scenes. After a pause of about 5 seconds I get the error message "This condition does not exist".

2) I can create a new scene in the updated app, but it still will not run (same error as above). Therefore "recreating all my scenes" is not an option - even if I wanted to.

3) IFTTT integration using scenes is broken (IFTTT triggers OK but scene does not run).

4) Thankfully, scene activation using Alexa still works (for now).

This is absolutely abysmal and i would be most appreciative if you would fix it immediately so I can have my smart home working again.

Very, VERY unhappy.

Digsy.

Options
2022-10-04 22:47:10

@Digsy,

Thanks for the reports, it seems like most of the issues that users are coming across have to do with Scenes. One of our beta users actually had the scenes and smart actions "deleted" from their account and they couldn't bring them back. They were able to regain access to their created scenes by deleting both the cached data and the documents and data related to the Kasa app from their phone; then uninstalling an reinstalling the application. This forced their scenes and smart actions to sync with the cloud and reappear.

Would it be possible for you to try the same and see if there are any different results?

I also know there are updates to the backend prepared that will fix some of these bugs and will launch soon.

Options
2022-10-05 08:57:44

@Riley_S 

"Would it be possible for you to try the same and see if there are any different results?"

How do I do this? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled and it made no difference. I have no idea how to delete cached data.

I can already see my scenes. They have not been deleted, they just no longer work.

Options
2022-10-05 12:47:17 - last edited 2022-10-05 12:52:21

@Digsy 

> How do I do this? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled and it made no difference. I have no idea how to delete cached data.

Easy enough to do - but pointless!

This issue does not appear to be an issue with the app, but, rather, server-side - i.e. part of TP-LINK's back-end services.

As regards the App, I've uninstalled & reinstalled, cleared caches etc. several times. However, even new Scenes don't work - and they fail in exactly the same way as old/migrated Scenes.

On the [seemingly] related iOS thread the same/similar types of thing are occurring.  One point being questioned there though is about regional support!  It appears that some people not in the UK are working ok - though it's by no means clear-cut.

See https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/583770

I'm in the UK, and [obviously 😁] I'm broken.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1711

Replies: 16

Tags

Bug
Related Articles