KS230 Kit Satellite Switch not working properly.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-05 13:54:59
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I just installed a 3 way KS230 Kit. The main switch works as expected  but the satellite switch is not.

Following are the issues I see:

1. The brightness increase(+)  button decreases the brightness instead of increasing.

2. The brightness decrease(-)  button does'nt perform any function

3. The ON/OFF button increases the brightness instead of turning the light on or off

I tried two different satellite switches and both have the same behavior so I am thinking its not the fault of the switch Don't know what the issue is with the wiring. Anyone came across this problem?.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Options
4 Reply
Re:KS230 Kit Satellite Switch not working properly.
2023-04-05 16:27:44

@FFurious,

This honestly sounds as thought the connections are not wired properly. As you have a V1, make sure that the traveler wires are lined up between the two switches. The main unit is the unit that actually dims the light, while the satellite only sends dimming signals to the main switch. If the wires were crossed, this would explain why the brightness increase button did the opposite.

Do you have a diagram of how you have everything connected, we can try to help out - but I would first try to match the traveler wires between units as this would be the expected behavior.

Options
2023-04-05 17:58:40

Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately, I don't have a diagram but I triple checked the traveler 1 to 1, 2 to 2 and all looks correct. I installed several of these in other rooms without any issues but just this one.

The only difference in this setup is, I have the line and load (to the light) are the same switch box where my main switch is located which is different from the diagram that comes with the product. 

Hope this helps.

Options
2023-04-05 18:50:24

@FFurious,

That difference in setup is the key to the problem it seems. The load on the second switch is what is supposed to pass power to the fixture.

This blog: https://mrelectrician.tv/three-way-switch-wiring-diagrams/ had a great explanation of your exact setup, where both are fed into the same box.  As your wiring is set up right now, I do not believe that the switch will work as a three-way in this situation in its officially supported configurations; however, I would definitely recommend getting an electrician over, as the wires to set the switch up may be present but may have been stashed in the back of the box or may have changed to a different type of wire(traveler/line) and not marked as such.

Options
2023-04-05 21:36:26

Here is the diagram of my current wiring . (copied for another post).

ad9841a15d1d4a70afaedf368b27ff81

Looks like, the below solution was suggested in aother post:

39a98c3c83d5411398ba61be7ceda30b

Do you see any concerns with this approach?

Options