Remote for HS220

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Remote for HS220

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Remote for HS220
Remote for HS220
2023-05-03 17:14:20
Model: Kasa HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a HS220 I recently installed in a room.  This was an added switch for new lighting.  Due to having to open up walls and drill a bunch of holes I installed the HS220 on the opposite side of the room where the new lighting exists instead and did not drill a bunch of holes.   The issue now is that an existing switch that controls different lighting in the room lives on the opposite side of the room where ideally I'd control the lighting.  I want to know if TP Link offers a dedicated remote to control lighting for the new HS220?

I was watching This Old House https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI96Qj7hBFA&ab_channel=ThisOldHouse  I would love the ability to add a remote like this on the other wall with the existing switch and add in the double cover plate to hold the remote like they do in the video.  Does TP-link / Kasa offer such a product?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Remote for HS220
2023-05-04 16:28:42 - last edited 2023-05-04 16:28:53

@smashclash,

We currently do not have a designated remote trigger, however this is something that our teams have been exploring and looking to add - even if it isn't in a switch form, but more like Tapos S200B. While it may still be a bit of a wait for a device to release, you can always install another switch and use Smart Actions to turn on both lights if you want them to turn on and off whenever one is changed.

Options
2023-05-04 17:20:40

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the quick response.  Follow up question.  I do see I could add another HS220 where the other switch is and then set each up with the smart feature to control each other.  I have another switch in a different room and setup a smart action and confirmed it worked to turn both on.  There is a slight delay in the second switch from coming on but that's ok.

My follow up question is I see in the smart actions the ability to setup only the on and off features.  So turn one switch on or off will do the same thing to the other switch.  But I do not see the ability to dim them both from a single switch.  I assume that's not a feature?  It'd be ideal if pressing the dim button on one switch also carried over to the second switch much like the on and off ability.

Options
2023-05-04 18:51:29

@smashclash,

In general smart actions run on the cloud, so I have a feeling that the dimming functionality may be too delayed to provide a smooth experience. We are beginning to see functionality such as what you mentioned being considered. However, it is only just in the initial phases of testing and is more related to a button interactions rather than another switch. I believe that there are already large updates planned for the coming months so we may learn more about how/if the feature can be added soon.

The functionality does somewhat exist for controlling a smart light bulb, as there are brightness commands, but without the triggers for the dimmers, it is not possible.

You can use the set lighting function to have a light set to a specific level, but you are correct; you cannot create an action that will dim both lights at the same time based on dimming one of the switches; for this, you would need to create a group in the app and dim the group from there.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 419

Replies: 3

Related Articles