Deco M4 select signal source

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 select signal source

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
80 Reply
Re:Deco M4 select signal source
2021-10-29 06:25:03 - last edited 2021-10-29 07:00:57

@TP-Link 

Hi, i need some assistant here as well. So the issue is; i recently bought a M5 deco and set it as main deco. As my house consists of 3 floors (main deco m5 was located in the middle floor and another 2 deco m4 located at 1st and 3rd floor. The signal sources for both m4 units was terrible as it will only connect to each other instead of the m5 unit. Is there anyway to solve this problem? (100 mphs become 0.5 mphs due to 2.5 Ghz only... suppose to be 5 Ghz)  

Other than that, may i know why is my M5 only receiving 2.4 Ghz from M4 units? 

Options
[Solution]Deco M4 select signal source
2021-11-01 06:19:54 - last edited 2021-12-17 09:13:59

@samuelho98 

Hi All,

Currently, We are working on the firmware that supports selecting signal sources manually.

Please keep an eye on Deco APP and once we release the new firmware, you will get a notification.

For more details, please refer to this link:

[Deco] Manual Signal Source Selection

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-14 14:39:59 - last edited 2021-11-14 14:43:13

@TP-Link 

Selecting the source manually needs to be addressed now as it has been a known issue for users since 2019.
Simply stating that the node should normally use the strongest wireless connection that it can find does not suffice.

Asking for layout of the node does not suffice.

Manually selecting the source signal will, because we as issuers know which connection is the best.

#decosignalproblem #decoweaksignal

All threads relating to this:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/215924?page=5
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/253374
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/173748
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/247188

Options
2021-11-28 19:11:44

If I can't manually select the source, I will have to change Wi.Fi mesh system with other brand. Many months have passed and I don't cunderstand why a new firmware can't be released. M5 Deco has received it from a couple of months or more. I am losing my confidence and I grown tired of checking the sources of every M4 satellites each day and manually reset them, hoping they find the right source. I have 5 of them, I will soon try to sell them

Options
2021-12-01 17:32:37

@TP-Link 

New firmware arrived, 1.52 and still farest M4 unit will connect only to the main and not to a middle satellite unit...

That's a pity!!!

Options
2021-12-02 19:54:55

@TP-Link Sort it out. How do such expensive networking devices not allow the user to select the signal source?

Options
2021-12-03 10:19:15 - last edited 2021-12-03 10:20:13

@tplink  I have the same problem. I installed a set of Deco M4's at my parent-in-law's house

Deco 1: ground floor, livingroom, connected to ethernet 

Deco 2: first floor, studyroom, connected to ethernet

Deco 3: first floor, bedroom, connected to wifi source

Deco 3 selects Deco 1 as its signal source which is not correct. Deco 2 is much closer by and is also hardwired. Please fix this issue.

Options
2021-12-03 11:58:39

Clearly tp-link is not interested in giving the possibility to select the source of the connection and manually bound them, as the possibility to choose the wi-fi client. The M4 (E4) model has been out for quite some time and they have been aware of these problems for at least a year. Either they believe that users will move to a higher model or they believe they will accept the lacking of this possibility. If they already created this possiiblity for M5 devices, why aren't they interested in doing the same for M4/E4?

Options
2021-12-23 16:14:09

@TP-Link, @TP-Link

Hi,
It's really sad that this little improvement can not be done.
I have some shellys and the connection keep failing just because can't select the best connection source (1 meter of distance) and instead keep connecting to the main router that is a few walls of distance. 
It's should be nice if we can had decent software for this expensive product.

Options
2021-12-30 23:00:30

@TP-Link any news on the firmware with manual source selection? I have a pretty intricate setup and it just doesn't work when the decos connect in the wrong order.

My mesh is as follows:

Attic [main] 

-> Living room

-> Basement

-> Garage [via powerline ethernet]

The problem is that sometimes the basement decides to connect directly to the attic, and even worse, sometimes the garage connects to the attic which causes the basement to connect via the garage...

Rebooting the decos in the right order sorts the problems out, but it's annoying and keeps returning. The first issue hasn't occured since the latest FW update, so thanks for that at least, but I would very much prefer to be able to choose the signal sources manually.

Options
Related Articles