Integration of VPN Services with Renowned Third-party VPN Providers NordVPN and SurfShark

Integration of VPN Services with Renowned Third-party VPN Providers NordVPN and SurfShark

333 Reply
Re:[New Firmware] Routers supporting VPN Client
2022-07-09 11:29:30 - last edited 2022-07-09 11:34:25

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I bought a tplink ER605 V2.0 router and tried to setup the same Cyberghost VPN client as on my tplink AX1800 router (where it is working fine) but in vain..the ER605 setup was successful but no VPN tunnel was present..

does the ER605 work with paid OpenVPN providers as well ?  can I get some help here?

Thanks

Options
2022-07-11 06:15:32

ccadar wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I bought a tplink ER605 V2.0 router and tried to setup the same Cyberghost VPN client as on my tplink AX1800 router (where it is working fine) but in vain..the ER605 setup was successful but no VPN tunnel was present..

does the ER605 work with paid OpenVPN providers as well ?  can I get some help here?

Thanks

@ccadar Can you please be more specific that how you use the ER605 and the Archer AX1800? Do you mean you are using the ER605 as a VPN Client to connect to the Cyberghost VPN server but that is not successful? 

As per the specifications on the product website, ER605 only supports OpenVPN/PPTP VPN/L2TP VPN Server, and LAN-to-LAN or Client-to-LAN IPsec VPN, it doesn't support to be configured as a VPN Client to connect to other OpenVPN servers:

https://www.tp-link.com/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er605/#specifications

For more inquiries or details about the VPN type or configuration of the ER605, it's suggested to search or ask on our business community forum:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/794

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-07-11 06:30:42

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

Yes I want the ER605 OpenVPN Client to connect to OpenVPN Cyberghost Server..but the description at the bottom of your link says it is possible:

"At the same time, the ER605 can work as a VPN client to connect with up to 10 VPN servers"

"https://www.tp-link.com/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er605/#specifications

Options
2022-07-11 07:48:27

@ccadar 

Sorry for my previous reply. ER605 can work as a VPN client to connect to some VPN servers, but it cannot connect to a VPN server that requires a username and password, which I believe is what the Cyberghost VPN belongs to.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-07-11 08:26:01 - last edited 2022-07-11 10:14:30

@Kevin_Z 

OpenVPN server login without username password makes no sense to me...but is there the possibility to upload the username password in a file to ER605 ?

in the same way like the ovpn file? in the ovpn file one should add the file name containing the username password:

auth-user-pass   loginconf

I found this link now:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/272476

I think TPLINK has got many annoyed customers who bought ER605 for using paid VPN servers and they realized that they got sth different..Please upgrade the openvpn client module of TP-Link ER605 to support Username and Password authentication + a field to see if the VPN connection was successful or not..!

Options
2022-07-11 11:55:34

@ccadar 

Thank you very much for your suggestion again. 

Sorry that we don't have any specific details that I can share around if the VPN Client feature can be optimized or not, it's suggested to log your feature request in the business community, so the moderator should be aware of and try to suggest.

Options
Re:Routers Supporting VPN Client
2022-07-16 22:36:14

@Kevin_Z So I just got a Ax1800 because it had VPN client capabilities, but doesn't appear in the settings. It's hardware version 3, your list shows 1.2 and 2.0.  So does that mean you removed VPN client from v3??

Options
2022-07-18 09:45:59

jmilez wrote

@Kevin_Z So I just got a Ax1800 because it had VPN client capabilities, but doesn't appear in the settings. It's hardware version 3, your list shows 1.2 and 2.0.  So does that mean you removed VPN client from v3??

@jmilez 

Can you please confirm the specific model? Is it Archer AX21 or Archer AX1800? You can check it from the router bottom sticker. You can try to install the beta firmware we provided in my original post for Archer AX21 on your device, then confirm if you can install it successfully.

BTW, as I can confirm, the official firmware for Archer AX1800 is on the way, you may wait one week or two to check for the updates to get the VPN Client feature.

Options
2022-07-18 17:48:16

@Kevin_Z 

It is an ax21 ver 3.6.  Will the final firmare you metioned work on the ax21 as well?  I'll just wait if so.

Thx...

Options
2022-07-19 02:29:22

jmilez wrote

@Kevin_Z 

It is an ax21 ver 3.6.  Will the final firmare you metioned work on the ax21 as well?  I'll just wait if so.

Thx...

@jmilez Yes, there will be an official firmware for Archer AX21 V3.6 as well. You may wait for the updates if you don't want to install the beta firmware.

Options
Related Articles