Difficulty formatting SD card on Tapo C200 camera

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Difficulty formatting SD card on Tapo C200 camera

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
80 Reply
Re:Difficulty formatting SD card on Tapo C200 camera
2021-03-30 18:57:01

Kevin_Z wrote

@Foxtrotter 

Hello, what is the brand & model of the SD card? And how about its format type? A picture of the card would be great;

Note: Tapo C200 supports a micro SD card with up to 128GB capacity, which should be formatted in FAT32, and you need to format the card on the Tapo Camera APP first.

You can try with another SD card if possible;

And ensure the camera firmware and APP firmware are latest: Tapo C200 1.0.4 & Tapo Camera iOS 1.1.7/Android 1.2.2;

May it help. 

I have bought 2 different micro SD cards neither have worked it's a sandisk Ultra 32gb what am I doing wrong please@Kevin_Z 

Options
2021-06-02 02:52:30

@nex_ 

Thanks for sharing, it's glad to know the SD card is working properly now with the camera.

When insert the SD card into the Tapo camera, you are asked to format the SD card on the Tapo app, just click on Initialize or Format, and the card will be recognized.

If the SD card is not formatting successfully, or it is not recognized, please check the below article to troubleshoot:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2749/

Options
2021-07-09 19:16:20 - last edited 2021-07-09 19:16:42

@Kevin_Z your cameras freaking suck. I have a c180 and a c310 and they are a pain to get working with 64 or 128 GB SD cards. Sometimes they initialize or format the card, sometimes not.

Formatted both Sandisk and PNY 64 GB cards to fat32 using several different 3rd party apps, which i should not have to go through. And still after 1 or 2 days i get sd card not initialized, try to format and get format failed.

Really. How hard is it to make hardware that works with sd cards?! Others have done it for 20 years.

Close to giving up as i don't want to mess around with 2 of my 3 cameras every other day. My c200 works fine but probably because i stuck an ooooold 32gb sandisk in it.

POS garbage SD system in these cameras and it's a shame as all the rest of them work so well..

Options
2021-08-27 12:30:21

Guys SanDisk's original sd card is working 32GB. buy it from the official store.

Options
2021-09-15 07:50:16 - last edited 2021-09-15 07:52:38

I've had exactly the same problem and ended up having to use an old 32GB card, which I can live with, but it is pretty poor given that TP-LINK state it supports up to 128GB. I may still end up taking the camera back to the store for a refund at this point. This seems to be an endemic problem with these cameras considering the number of separate threads there are about it.

I think that the problem is that once an SD card has been formatted with something other than FAT32 then your camera isn't going to be able to format it. The problem with formatting anything larger than 32GB on a Windows 10 machine is that FAT32 isn't supported above 32GB. So your 64 and 128GB cards will be formatted as exFAT or NTFS. 

Not sure about MACs but even using the Disk Management on Windows to delete the partition on the card didn't seem to help. I also tried a 3rd party application to force a FAT32 format onto a 64GB SD card but the camera still does not recognise it.

If I were cynical I might even suspect that this could be deliberate on the part of TP-LINK to try to force customers to use the cloud storage at £3.49 GBP per month. Which is roughly the same cost as buying 2 x 128GB cards per year at current prices. But in no way am I suggesting that is the case. It's far more likely that the way to use cards above 32GB isn't properly understood and documented.

I also don't understand why TP-LINK have Tapo and Kasa. Two ranges of products that do pretty much the same things and need two separate Apps. Probably for another conversation this one.

Options
2021-12-17 09:44:18

@Foxtrotter I am having the same issue too... Already formatted it to fat32 but still no luck

Options
[solution]Difficulty formatting SD card on Tapo C200 camera-Solution
2021-12-28 11:25:00 - last edited 2023-02-27 01:43:55

Hello everyone, 

If  Tapo camera fails to format SD card , or SD card can not be detected, please try some suggestions here 

1. Here is an instruction that helps with troubleshoot SD card problem, kindly give it a try and let us know if it works for you.
What should I do if the SD card doesn’t work properly on my camera?

2. Try a SD card with 8 GB to 128 GB capacity  (* capacity less than 2 GB is not supported):
Which microSD cards are supported on Tapo and Kasa Cameras? 

3. Verify if SD card is Fake (expanded capacity) with H2testw software and share a photo with us ( NOTE: back up important files before run the test )

How to Verify Fake Micro SD Cards

4. Confirm Tapo APP and tapo Camera firmware are both up to date. 

If still the same issue, please  Create a new thread here  and provide some with case details to help look into the case further. 

1. Model and Hardware version of Tapo camera

2.  Brand & Capacity of the SD 

3.  photo of SD card

4.  photo of H2testw test result 

5.  photo of the error on Tapo APP 

6.  Mac address & SN of camera (please share via private message)

* this post will be marked as solution so users could get the information easily and provide further feedback

Thank you for your understanding. 

More Articles

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-01-19 22:34:59

@Foxtrotter a mi la kinton de 64 GB me va unas 4 horas y luego ya no reconoce más la memoria micro. Y dice que no hay grabaciones. Que trizte. Tengo todo marca tp-link, routers repetidores en mi casa y lastima. Estás dos cámaras con ese lío.

Options
2022-01-19 22:38:08

@Foxtrotter

Foxtrotter wrote

I gave up on the 128 and happy with 32gb which gives me 4/5 days of recording. I understand from previous posts that the Kingston 64gb works fine.

No me funciona sino 4 horas tengo una memoria Kingston original, este 64 gigas, luego la cámara me dice que no hay grabaciones y deja de reconocer la memoria micro SD

Options
2022-06-28 19:12:37

@Solla-topee same problem here. I bought 2 new SD cards from official SanDisk store. Both 32 gb. Both unable to format for 2 tapo c110 cameras. 

Options