Tapo C200 camera does not recognize microSD card

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-18 16:15:51
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.19

Hello,

I bought 2 C200 cameras back on June 29th, 2022 with 2 Samsung EVO microSD 128gb. Installed both cameras with the microSDs and all worked perfectly with the Tapo app, recording, taking pictures, saving, downloading the whole works no issues what so ever.

All of the sudden and on September 11th, 2022, a voice message on one of the cameras announced that the microSD is not formatted and needs to be formatted according to the app guide lines.

Here is some facts

1- "Camera Settings -> microSD Card" item says "Unformatted"

2- When I try to format the microSD card it says "there is a problem with the SD card"

3- When I take a picture or video manually (by pressing the camera icon or the video icon) the camera takes the picture or the video and saves it. I can see it in the "Playback & Memory -> Memory" folder. I can share or download or delete the picture/video. Question: is the picture/video saved to the microSD or internal memory?

4- Removing the microSD card from the camera and plug it back in, "Camera Settings -> microSD Card" item says "Good", but still no automatic recording "Playback & Memory -> Playback" folder is empty, manual recording as described in item #3 still working.

5- After almost 5 to 10 minutes from doing item #4 (un-plugging and plugging back in) a voice message on the camera announce that the microSD is not formatted and needs to be formatted according to the app guide lines and "Camera Settings -> microSD Card" item says "Unformatted", trying to format will take you back to #2.

6- Placing 32gb microSD card just to try different card, I get "there is a problem with the SD card" when I try to format it.

7- I did RESET the camera with button and started fresh, did not help

I have tried all of the recommendation and tricks on the forum nothing worked, can you please help, thanks.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 camera does not recognize microSD card
2022-09-19 03:55:37

Hello   @S.O.M. 

Thank you for staring a detailed post. It's good to know you have tried some steps listed in the forum or troubleshooting FAQ :

May I know did you try to verify the 128GB or 32GB SD card and confirm the SD card itself is fine. How to Verify Micro SD Cards

You could format the SD card on the computer or using some third party software then test the SD card using H2testw software and share a photo of the test result. 

If still the same, it could be something wrong with the camera itself, we'd create support email to check the device warranty, please check your email inbox later. 

Options
Re:Tapo C200 camera does not recognize microSD card
2022-09-21 13:56:08

Hello  @Solla-topee,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

As I mentioned in my first post when I bought the cameras I also bought two identical micro sd cards, Samsung EVO Select 128gb (https://www.amazon.ca/SAMSUNG-Plus-128GB-MB-ME128KA-AM/dp/B09B1JFY24/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1SYOQQ8WYTYIF&keywords=samsung%2Bevo%2Bselect%2B128gb&qid=1663767925&sprefix=samsung%2Bevo%2Bselect%2B128gb%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-3&th=1)

After your reply I tried to use the micro sd from the other camera which did not have any issue, but to my surprise when I placed on the first camera I got the same problem described on top, can not format, sd card problem and so on.

Just to remove the micro sd from the picture, I bought two brand new micro sd 64gb this time, installed and format them with no issue, which leads me to believe that the problem is related to the micro sd not the camera.

Why did both micro sd go bad even though the second one was working properly?.

I did read somewhere on the your forums a TP-Link employee was telling someone to avoid 128gb micro sd,

Is this your recommendation not to use 128gb? do you have problem with certain 128gb micro sd?

And finally, is there any firmware update in the future that address this issue?

Regards...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1158

Replies: 2

Related Articles