Question about external control method of Tapo p100 local network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-17 02:02:58
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.4
hello?

I am using Tapo p100 among TP-link's Tapo Smart Plug products.

When I tried to control the Tapo p100 using the example of PyP100, it was controlled only from the local network, and was not controlled from outside the local network. (At this time, the application was created on Linux.
However, in the Android app called Tapo provided by TP-link, both cases were controlled from the local network and outside the local network.

I have a few questions while using the Tapo p100.

First, I would like to know if it is possible to control a product called Tapo p100 from outside the local network.

Second, I would like to know if the following Python API called PyP100 is officially provided by TP-link.

- Address: https://github.com/fishbigger/TapoP100

Third, I would like to know if it is possible to control the Tapo p100 from outside the local network through PyP100. If it is possible to control from outside the local network, I would like to know how.

If you know any of the questions above, please answer.

thank you
Options
2 Reply
Re:Question about external control method of Tapo p100 local network
2023-04-19 03:53:41

@yj_choi 

Hi,
1. We provide the Tapo app to control the Tapo P100, and you can control the smart plug in the local or remote network with the Tapo app.
2. The PyP100 is not officially provided by TP-Link. And we are unable to provide support for a third-party program.
Best Regards

Options
Re:Question about external control method of Tapo p100 local network
2023-09-05 18:13:19

@yj_choi  I can confirm that PyP100 works with Firmware 1.0.5 on Hardware Version 2.0 (older plugs).

The "login" function fails however with Firmware 1.2+ (including 1.4.18) and on Hardware Version 1.20 (the newer plugs). So be careful NOT to allow a firmware upgrade when prompted.

With Firmware 1.0.5 control from outside your LAN is possible if you can Port Forward. I have done it many times on many different sites, it's trivial.

Forcing people to use the Tapo app GREATLY limits the possible instalation uses for these plugs and it's really sad to see TP-Link going in that direction.

The P100 v2.0 with firmware 1.0.5 is/was an awesome product!

Options