Tapo C420/C400 shows offline and the battery level shows 0 on the Tapo app after configuration

Tapo C420/C400 shows offline and the battery level shows 0 on the Tapo app after configuration

2023-11-29 09:36:12 - last edited 2024-01-11 02:57:43

This Article Applies to:

Tapo C420 V1
Tapo C400 V1

Phenomenon Description:

After inserting the battery in the camera, you can finish the camera's configuration process, but the camera shows offline and the battery level shows 0 on the Tapo app after configuration.

Suggestion:

1. Ensure the battery is fully charged. 
It may take about 5-6 hours to charge the battery from empty to fully charged with the original charger, and the battery LED will turn solid green when fully charged. 
Note: if the time required for the battery to be fully charged from empty is significantly shorter than the normal charging time, it is possible that there is a hardware issue with the battery.

2. Ensure the battery is inserted into the camera tightly. 
Try removing the battery from the camera, using a dry cloth or paper towel to clean the battery, reinserting the battery, and tightening the camera's back cover.  

3. Check if the camera uses the original battery.
If you have battery-powered cameras mixed, such as C420, C400, D230, or cameras of the same model but different versions, please ensure each camera uses the original battery.
Different cameras' battery capacities may be different  (like 5200mAh and 6700mAh), and early firmware versions may have compatibility issues on different-capacity batteries. However, the latest firmware has optimized the compatibility.

4. If you have another Tapo C400/C420 that works fine, try to swap the batteries on the cameras to confirm if the camera or the battery has an issue.

a. If the specific battery has an issue, please contact the retailer or local support to check if your device is under warranty.

b. If the specific camera has an issue, report the following information in this thread for further analysis.
1) Confirm if the problem occurs after the first configuration or after using it for a period of time.
2) Check the LED status on the camera.
3) Test if the detection and notification features are working when an event/motion happens in front of the problematic camera.

4) Send us a picture of the camera's status on the Tapo app.

More Articles:

2K Tapo Wire-Free Camera System Tapo C420S2 Being Released

How to use detection function of my Tapo camera in Tapo app?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo C420/C400 shows offline and the battery level shows 0 on the Tapo app after configuration-Solution
2024-01-10 19:19:57 - last edited 2024-01-11 02:57:43

@RJ_London I have been working with TP-Link tech support on a solution. There was a change in battery capacity from 5200mAh to 6700mAh. Older versions of the camera firmware did not work with the 6700mAh battery (newer firmware works with either battery).

In my situation, I ordered a kit that had 2 cameras and on add-on third camera. The add-on camera must have had the 5200mAh battery and the older firmware. When I opened the boxes, I pulled out all 3 batteries, charged & installed and added cameras via the app. As it turns out, the 5200mAh battery ended up in a camera with newer firmware (no problem) and the 6700mAh landed in the camera with older firmware (does not work). As you may have experienced, it is not possible to upgrade the firmware if it indicates the battery is empty. Anyway, I swapped the batteries, upgraded the firmware and it all works now. I hope this helps.

This resolves the problem I was having. Thanks very much to Tech Support for helping work out this problem!

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Tapo C420/C400 shows offline and the battery level shows 0 on the Tapo app after configuration
2024-01-03 23:58:03

@Solla-topee I am having the listed problem. Purchased kit including hub + 2 cameras and an add-on camera. Charged all 3 batteries until green LED light (fully charged). Set up the hub and the 2 cameras that came on the kit without incident. I was able to set up the third (add-on) camera, but at the test stage, an error message was given indicating the battery was empty, see left part of image. 

I tried swapping the batteries from a working camera, did not resolve problem. Tried charging the battery while in the camera, green light on, same problem. The camera shows as connected, but offline with an empty battery, see right part of image. The strange thing is that I am receiving notifications from this camera for motion, person detection, etc.

1) Confirm if the problem occurs after the first configuration or after using it for a period of time.  The problem occurs after the first configuration.

2) Check the LED status on the camera.  The LED is green. 

3) Test if the detection and notification features are working when an event/motion happens in front of the problematic camera. The detection and notification features are working normally, though I cannot manage the camera.

File:
Battery Empty and Connected Devices.pngDownload
Options
Re:Tapo C420/C400 shows offline and the battery level shows 0 on the Tapo app after configuration
2024-01-05 06:05:20

@wilbanja 

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed information. I have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

Best Regards

Options
2024-01-10 15:42:39

@wilbanja I am having the same issue, did you manage to find a fix?

Options
2024-01-10 15:53:28

@Solla-topee  I am also having this problem, do you know if there is a fix yet? Mnay thnaks, Richard

Options
Re:Tapo C420/C400 shows offline and the battery level shows 0 on the Tapo app after configuration-Solution
2024-01-10 19:19:57 - last edited 2024-01-11 02:57:43

@RJ_London I have been working with TP-Link tech support on a solution. There was a change in battery capacity from 5200mAh to 6700mAh. Older versions of the camera firmware did not work with the 6700mAh battery (newer firmware works with either battery).

In my situation, I ordered a kit that had 2 cameras and on add-on third camera. The add-on camera must have had the 5200mAh battery and the older firmware. When I opened the boxes, I pulled out all 3 batteries, charged & installed and added cameras via the app. As it turns out, the 5200mAh battery ended up in a camera with newer firmware (no problem) and the 6700mAh landed in the camera with older firmware (does not work). As you may have experienced, it is not possible to upgrade the firmware if it indicates the battery is empty. Anyway, I swapped the batteries, upgraded the firmware and it all works now. I hope this helps.

This resolves the problem I was having. Thanks very much to Tech Support for helping work out this problem!

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-25 07:08:03

Same problem here. For me this started after the hub accidentally was powered off. With the hub powered up again one of my two c420 cameras had this problem.

I've charged the battery. Motion detected video recording works so it's obvious the camera 7s not out of battery. Still as battery indicates 0% no actions can be initiated from app. Resetting the camera works but after finishing the configuration it still shows 0%.

Options
2024-01-26 06:11:11

@Kanstrup 
Hi,
Please help collect the following information about the reported case.
1. What's the LED status on the problematic C420? If there are movements in front of the camera, will the LED become green? How do you check 'motion detected video recording works' if you can't access the camera on the Tapo app?

2. Send me the MAC address of your camera via a private message.

3. Please help check the battery capacity on your two cameras' battery.

Best Regards

Options
2024-02-18 20:18:39 - last edited 2024-02-18 20:19:24

@Solla-topee When there's no motion in front of the camera no LEDs are active. When there's motion the LED turns green. I get notifications in the app whenever motion is detected. Before reseting the device I could tap the notification and see a recorded video. Now it just states the "battery empty", however if I reset the device both video and audio is working during the "Test Wi-Fi Signal & Preview".

Switching batteries between the two cameras didn't help. This specific camera shows 0% with both batteries.

Options
2024-02-21 08:47:20

@Kanstrup 

Hi, 
Based on the provided information, it may be the specific camera has an issue, and it's recommended to contact your retailer or local support to check if your camera is under warranty.
Best Regards

Options
2024-02-25 12:22:19 - last edited 2024-02-26 09:21:41

@Solla-topee I have just installed 2 x C400's brand new in the UK only to find that one immediately reported 0% battery despite being able to function when tested.  I did notice that the battery charged faster, however not sure how significantly, and so I replaced the battery with a spare that I had purchased which unfortunately did not resolve the problem.  I also swapped batteries between cameras which also did not change the outcome.  I'm guessing I now need to request an RMA.  This is now the 3rd TAPO product in a few months I've had to return and the first immediately after purchase.

1) Problem occurs after the first configuration.
2) LED status on the camera appears to work.
3) Detection and notification appears to work.

4) Send us a picture of the camera's status on the Tapo app.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1032

Replies: 13

Related Articles