Hard to identify people if camera turned of 90 degrees or at distance

2023-12-27 14:42:30 - last edited 2024-01-05 14:56:32
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.7

Hi, I've 9 Tapo C320 WS. I've noticed that if cameras are installed from high to low and rotated 90° respect to the horizontal (eg. camera installed under the roof at 9 meter high with the long side parallel to the external wall of the house) or at distances more than 6-7 meters, has high difficulties in identifying people, sometimes also at very low distance.

Is there any possibility that IA will be improoved in the future? thanks! 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Hard to identify people if camera turned of 90 degrees or at distance-Solution
2024-01-05 08:43:08 - last edited 2024-01-05 14:56:32

@DavideLorenzi 

Hi,
This issue may be strongly related to the rotation of the camera lens by 90 degrees. For example: 1) When the camera rotates 90 degrees, it may cause a change in the relative position of the human target in the image, making it difficult for the person detection algorithm to accurately detect the target. 2) Person detection algorithms typically use certain features to distinguish the human body from other objects, such as the shape and color of the human body. When the camera rotates 90 degrees, the features of the human body may change, making it challenging for the algorithm to correctly identify the human body.
In your use case, it is recommended to keep the camera in a normal position as much as possible to have better performance. Meanwhile, I will also forward this case to the relevant department to continuously improve our products and deliver the best performance possible.
Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Hard to identify people if camera turned of 90 degrees or at distance
2023-12-28 08:37:39

@DavideLorenzi 

Hi,

Do you mean after installing the camera at a high position and rotating 90° respect to the horizontal, the camera can recognize the motion but not the person when they are in the same position? For example, when a person moves in a position, the camera receives motion-detected notification only but no person-detected notification.

Best Regards

Options
2023-12-31 11:15:36

@Solla-topee 

Hi!

Thank for the answer.

Exactly, you made the point! 

In these situations (camera installed from 6 to 9 meters from ground level and rotated 90 degrees respect to the horizontal) I receive motion-detected notification only but no person-detected notification (or really rare ones), even at the highest possible sensitivity for motion detections.

Also looking at recording and events history (with local sd storage) I've the recording of the person moving but not labelled as person-detected. I've 5 out of 9 cameras in this situation, while horizontally placed (and at lower high, 2-3 meters at max) have no issues in recognizing people.

Thank you very much for the support and happy new year!

Options
Re:Hard to identify people if camera turned of 90 degrees or at distance-Solution
2024-01-05 08:43:08 - last edited 2024-01-05 14:56:32

@DavideLorenzi 

Hi,
This issue may be strongly related to the rotation of the camera lens by 90 degrees. For example: 1) When the camera rotates 90 degrees, it may cause a change in the relative position of the human target in the image, making it difficult for the person detection algorithm to accurately detect the target. 2) Person detection algorithms typically use certain features to distinguish the human body from other objects, such as the shape and color of the human body. When the camera rotates 90 degrees, the features of the human body may change, making it challenging for the algorithm to correctly identify the human body.
In your use case, it is recommended to keep the camera in a normal position as much as possible to have better performance. Meanwhile, I will also forward this case to the relevant department to continuously improve our products and deliver the best performance possible.
Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-05 15:05:09 - last edited 2024-01-05 15:07:24

@Solla-topee Thank you very much for the kind answer and explanation!

I think (as SE) a possible (and maybe easy) solution that could fix that issue could be allowing the full rotation of the view of the camera and not only the flip upside down (the option that can be activated if we mount the camera upside down I think).

I dunno how the implementation of the flip is (if is an effective rotation of 180° of the camera image or only a post processed rapresentation), but a 90° rotation could be an interesting feature. If the camera pre processes as horizontal a "vertical" (rotated by 90°) image, it could apply normal AI algorithms.

I mounted those cameras in this way since is possible to cover a huge strip with one single camera, instead 2 in crossed view. 

Thank you very much, I hope someone will implement it :)

Best

Davide

Options
2024-01-08 11:52:38

@DavideLorenzi 

Hi,
Thank you very much for your suggestion, while we don't have any specific details that I can share about if this feature can come to the product or when it might, I'll log the feature request and pass it along to the team to evaluate.
Best Regards

Options