Tapo C220 - Stream FPS limited to 15 irrespective of settings | Fixed by rebooting cam

Tapo C220 - Stream FPS limited to 15 irrespective of settings | Fixed by rebooting cam

2024-03-13 14:13:57 - last edited 2024-03-13 14:30:09
Model: Tapo C220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.9

Hi :)

I own 4 tapo C220 cameras. 2 of those cameras had the wifi disconnection issue which is now resolved in firmware 1.1.8 and 1.1.9. The other 2 cameras never had any issue.
In all of my Tapo C220 cameras., I have selected 25 FPS @ 2K/QHD.

Now those same 2 affected cameras (which had wifi disconnection issue) are having another issue. After sometime, like 10-12 hours, those 2 cameras start streaming at 15FPS. The only way to fix them is by rebooting. After rebooting, they again start streaming at 25 FPS. RSSI/Signal is -54 (excellent) and cameras are nearby router. The other 2 unaffected cameras are having worse signal (-65 RSSI) and still work fine @ 25FPS 24x7.

In order to do realtime FPS testing, I am using VLC RTSP stream with a Realtime FPS Counter or BlueIris Camera Statistics page. Both these tools show that affected cameras are streaming @ 15 FPS.

In the RTSP stream metadata, 25 FPS is shown but the actual feed is 13-15 fps.

And if I reboot these 2 affected cameras, the Issue is resolved for sometime.

I also tried wifi client reassociation to see if reconnecting wifi to camera will fix the issue or not. And it doesn't. Basically I can disconnect a wireless client (station) from my router management interface. So it is not a wifi issue now and it appears to me that some kind of throttling is kicking in which limits FPS to 15.

It is disappointing since I bought these cameras specifically due to high FPS.

The current workaround I am using is to autoreboot the 2 affected cameras.

Can you please open an Issue ticket to investigate and fix this.

Sensitive Information can be shared via PM or email.

Regards

Harmandeep

Options
4 Reply
Re:Tapo C220 - Stream FPS limited to 15 irrespective of settings | Fixed by rebooting cam
2024-03-13 14:28:23 - last edited 2024-03-13 14:30:29

I don't have any memord card inserted in the cameras, so in case logs are necessary, please advise if there is any alternate way to collect logs. Else I would need to buy a new memory card just for collecting debug logs.
Apart from that, I have disabled autoreboot option so that Issue when produced is persistent and can be checked further..

Options
Re:Tapo C220 - Stream FPS limited to 15 irrespective of settings | Fixed by rebooting cam
2024-03-14 08:02:42

@harmandeep 

Hi
Please help confirm the following information for the reported case.
1. Please describe your network diagram, are the affected Tapo C220s connected to the router's Wi-Fi directly?

2. How many devices usually watch the camera simultaneously, including phones and PCs? Have you subscribed to the Tapo Care service?

3. Please send me the pictures showing the affected camera streaming at 15fps. And when the camera shows streaming at 15fps, does the camera rotate or just finish rotating/tracking?

Best Regards

Options
2024-03-15 22:26:28

@Solla-topee 

1. Please describe your network diagram, are the affected Tapo C220s connected to the router's Wi-Fi directly?

• ISP GPON > Home Router Wifi > Tapo Cams

2. How many devices usually watch the camera simultaneously, including phones and PCs? Have you subscribed to the Tapo Care service?

• 1 main stream to NVR, that's it.  I know there is 3 stream limit, 2 main and 1 sub.

3. Please send me the pictures showing the affected camera streaming at 15fps. And when the camera shows streaming at 15fps, does the camera rotate or just finish rotating/tracking?

• One the issue appears again, I will share details. Camera is still without any patroling or movement.

Regards

Harmandeep

Options
2024-03-19 02:57:17

@harmandeep 

Hi,

I have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 111

Replies: 4

Related Articles