Tapo C225 v2 Missing Starlight?

2024-03-21 13:41:56 - last edited 2024-03-22 07:44:09
Model: Tapo C225  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.7

Hi

I bought 4 TAPO C225s a few months ago (V1) and today bought a 5th which is, apparently, V2. In the night settings in the mobile app all the 4 original ones have a starlight setting I can choose but the new one only has "Near/Far" and no starlight option? The physical box it came in still says starlight but there seems no way to turn it on. I've included two app photos - one I see for the otehr camera and, on the right, the one I see for the new camera. 

Any ideas how to turn on starlight - it isnlt anywhere else in the settings? If it isn't available I'll send this camera back.

Update: I put the two cameras side by side in a dark environment and compared the images. v2 is much worse so I have sent it back. Disappointing TP-Link had a good camera but ruined it with the new version apparently.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo C225 v2 Missing Starlight?-Solution
2024-03-22 07:43:47 - last edited 2024-03-22 07:44:09

@dred123 

Hi,
We have enhanced the Tapo C225 V2 model so that full-color performance (starlight night vision) at low brightness can be achieved without the need for manual switching to the starlight mode.
Please note that the starlight night vision is suitable for low-light conditions and it may not produce clear full-color images in extremely dark (no light) environments.
Since you have returned the Tapo C225 V2, it's unable to do further analysis. If other users encounter the same case, please share the pictures captured by the Tapo C225 V1 and V2 in the same environment for follow-up.
Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo C225 v2 Missing Starlight?-Solution
2024-03-22 07:43:47 - last edited 2024-03-22 07:44:09

@dred123 

Hi,
We have enhanced the Tapo C225 V2 model so that full-color performance (starlight night vision) at low brightness can be achieved without the need for manual switching to the starlight mode.
Please note that the starlight night vision is suitable for low-light conditions and it may not produce clear full-color images in extremely dark (no light) environments.
Since you have returned the Tapo C225 V2, it's unable to do further analysis. If other users encounter the same case, please share the pictures captured by the Tapo C225 V1 and V2 in the same environment for follow-up.
Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo C225 v2 Missing Starlight?
2024-03-22 09:07:59

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for the reply. Before I returned the v2 camera (and managed to order a v1 camera) I did put the two cameras side by side to compare the images. They were in a very dark (no-light environment, although there were the two cameras). I've included them here. The v2 seems blurrier with less detail if you look at the steel beam bolts, the rafters and the texture/markings on the ductwork. The C225v1 has "Study" in the top left and the C225v2 has "Loft".

Hope this helps as I really like the C225 v1 camera but the v2 seems slightly worse for my use case. I have managed to find a v1 camera to buy.

Thev2 camera seems good and, If someone didn't have the v1 camera to compare it to, I doubt anyone would have an issue but for my use case the v1 seems a clearer image. It may be that, as you suggest, the v2 could be better in other scenarios.

Options
Re:Tapo C225 v2 Missing Starlight?
2024-03-25 05:50:35

@dred123 

Hi,
From the pictures, the case seems to have nothing to do with the starlight mode since the two cameras work in the infrared mode.
For the reported phenomenon, you can try to enable the HDR feature on the Tapo app>camera's Device Settings>Video & Display page for a check.
Best Regards  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 301

Replies: 3

Related Articles