Wifi characters allowed in 2023

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-09 14:24:21
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.11

Hello,

I have two new C310 and I was surprised I could not use my current wifi password with them.

It only includes ascii characters (non extended set) but Tapo still does not like it.

I tried on a guest wifi a simpler password and it worked.

This is very surprising in 2023. Computing languages have quotes to protect from special characters and ascii is not exactly exotic.

I have several computers and phones, a home automation and five other camera models from different brands using that password without issue.

Re-configuring everything would be a true waste of time so I wired the cameras for now.

So, any (real) reason not to allow an ascii password?

Any solution to bypass it? (way to enter it later)

Thanks

Philippe

Options
5 Reply
Re:Wifi characters allowed in 2023
2023-12-11 11:47:31

@Philippe123 

Hi Philippe,
What are the ASCII characters included in your wireless password? Does your password include letters, numbers, and characters?

Can you send me a picture of the error message you encounter when setting up the Tapo C310?

Best Regards

Options
2023-12-11 12:42:05

@Solla-topee 

Ascii characters such as !*#_ 

the message is that the wifi connection was not successfull.

Options
2023-12-12 12:04:05

@Philippe123 

Hi,
Usually, the Tapo cam is able to connect to the Wi-Fi network with ASCII characters. For the reported case, you can try to enable a hotspot Wi-Fi on your phone with the same Wi-Fi name and password as your router, then reset the camera, reconfigure it with a different phone, and check if you can set it up successfully.
Best Regards

Options
2023-12-12 13:23:38

@Solla-topee 

I don't get it.

And what would I get if that worked?

That the camera can connect to my phone but not to my router (to the contrary of all the rest of the equipment I have)?

That would not be very useful, isnt-it?

Should I quote you there:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/610370

You wrote on 2023-05-29 12:02:31:

"Check if the Wi-Fi name and password include special characters, such as @, &, etc. If yes, change the Wi-Fi name or password for a try."

@ is ascii code 64.

& is ascii code 38.

So did it change and you forgot? It is different for the C310 than the C200?

Or if I repeat the questions:

* So, any (real) reason not to allow an ascii password?

* Any solution to bypass it? (way to enter it later)

Thanks

PS: the forum sofware understand isnt-it as sensitive language when spelled correctly. Amazing. 

Options
2023-12-13 07:43:25

@Philippe123 

Hi,
If the camera can connect to the hotspot Wi-Fi on your phone, which means the camera can connect to Wi-Fi networks with ASCII characters, and the camera can't connect to the router may be related to the router settings (such as MAC filtering or firewall).

For troubleshooting purposes, we recommend simplifying the Wi-Fi network name and password to test and see if that helps. This does not imply that the camera does not support Wi-Fi networks with ASCII characters.

If you prefer not to conduct the hotspot Wi-Fi test, I will report your issue to the tech team for further follow-up.

Best Regards

Options