Internet goes out almost same time everyday

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-06 17:34:18
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20210519 Rel. 36755

I just switched to the Deco X68 after using a 1st gen Google Wifi system for many years. Lately (past month or so) we've been having more than usual disconnects with our internet. Our provider is Spectrum and it's a cable internet connection (400/20).

When the connection is on, everything works great and I actually get faster than advertised speeds. However, lately, we've been experiencing random drops almost on a daily basis and almost the same time (between 11am-12pm local time). I've contacted Spectrum about this and they sent a technician who checked everything and after removing an unneeded spliter and providing a new modem, gave everything a clean bill of health. However, the problems have continued.

After contacting Spectrum again, they said everything looks good on their end and no outages. So I began to suspect the Google Wifi system. That's when I purchased the Deco X68 and got everything setup and working fine. However, the disconnected are still occuring. 

Is there anything with the Deco system that might be causing this? The fact that it occurs nearly everyday at almost the same timeframe is very suspicious. I am not convinced that this is an issue with the Deco but I thought I'd ask.  Nearly everytime I have an issue with my internet it's a problem on the Spectrum side at the "box" or somewhere along the line to my house. I just don't know how to convince them of that.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Internet goes out almost same time everyday
2021-09-07 07:11:05

@B-Town 

Hi, I did once see the same issue shared by one of the users @Alexandre. that if the cable network quality is below a certain level, It would trigger the cable modem to reboot in order to fresh the service(https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/273034?replyId=622884), but it was random and not always on the same time.

Maybe you could have a look to see whether it helped or not.

Thank you.

Options
2021-09-12 19:01:38

@B-Town 

It sounds like you were experiencing this consistent outage when you were using Google Mesh. And that was your reason for switching to Deco Mesh.  So why after switching and seeing that the same timed outage is still happening are you leaning towards blaming the new Deco Mesh. 

Seems to me that the ISP's router is suspect, not your mesh. 

Options
2021-09-12 20:35:02

@DAServices How did you read that I am blaming the Deco??? Especially when I clearly stated "I am not convinced that this is an issue with the Deco but I thought I'd ask."

I'm trying to rule out all possible causes of this outage and I'm starting with the things that I can control. Once I've ruled out all possible causes on my end, the next step would be to seek some sort of resolution with Spectrum.

Options
2021-09-13 16:13:59

@B-Town 

I wann't trying to be accusing, just pointing out that you said this was happening on the Google mesh also. And after installing the Deco Mesh it was still hapening. 

You are correct to look at the ISP hardware. Many hav the admin user and password on a label, so you may be able to take a look at the modem/router logs.

Options
2021-09-13 16:25:53

@DAServices Thank you. Yeah unfortunately the Spectrum hardware doesn't have the admin username/password on the modem.  sad

It's funny because when an outage goes out, I contact their support and one of the things they have me do is reboot the modem. Then when  the tech person arrives and connects their equipment to the modem to check the logs, they say they don't see anything because the logs get cleared with the reboot. 

It's like dealing with these companies is like dealing with the 3 Stooges.  cheeky

Options
2021-09-13 16:33:44

@B-Town 

Have you investigated supplying your own Modem hardware? According to the Internet that is allowed, just not advertised ;-).

On the Spectrum web site ... "Note: The information in this article applies to Spectrum Internet customers only. "

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network/

Options
2021-09-13 16:38:55
Yeah, prior to switching the router, I had a Netgreat CM600 modem that worked fine until the issues started. When a Spectrum tech came out a few weeks ago, they replaced that modem with a Spectrum supplied modem but to try to narrow down the issue. Of course, the problem continued and that's what then led to replacing the Google Wifi router with the Deco X68. So, I think I've done all that I can do on my end to narrow down the issue and the only thing left that I can think of is that it's a Spectrum problem that they can't see or identify. I had another Spectrum tech come out last Thursday and they put a watch on the modem and if/when I lose connection it will capture the logs and send them to the tech. Luckily enough we haven't had an outage since then but I hesitate to put that out in the universe.
Options
2021-09-13 16:53:58
Of course not! Good Luck. It sounds like you have done everything possible.
Options