Tether NOT BLOCKING sites, online gaming and connections already established on a PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tether NOT BLOCKING sites, online gaming and connections already established on a PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-27 15:28:49 - last edited 2022-08-27 17:09:24
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 build 20220621 rel. 71166

My Archer AX55 is not blocking some already established connections to my child's Windows 10 PC (software fully updated) when I select BLOCK or if their screen time runs out. If they are already connected to discord and having a conversation, that connection never gets blocked because it's already established. I'm seeing the same thing with online gaming sessions and YouTube videos that are already loaded and they don't get blocked even after the buffering runs out. I've tested this and I do see that new connections get blocked, such as new YouTube videos, pings, newly loaded websites. 

How can I resolve this issue? It's a problem that my child can continue to use their computer (discord conversations, online gaming sessions, watching YouTube pages that are already loaded, etc...) after their time expires or I block them. Tether is not fully effective with this flaw.

Please help.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Tether NOT BLOCKING sites, online gaming and connections already established on a PC
2022-08-29 18:50:58

@NetPingS,

So from what I can tell, the Tether Parental Controls monitors the incoming connections to the devices, and will block any that are attempted when the setting is on. Unfortunately, this does mean that any communications that do not require the connection to be refreshed, such as a Discord Call, will not be automatically blocked at the time, as it is not shutting down the network connection to the device, just blocking communications from outside of the network from reaching the device.

If I am correct, there is an option to disable the internet access on the application for a specific device. Does this block the existing connections?

Another option may be to configure the guest network, so that you can disable the literal network to his devices. However, you would have to prevent them from accessing the normal network password. Otherwise, it may be required to set up parental controls on the devices themselves.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 543

Replies: 1