Starlink in house, wifi to trailer in back yard

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-29 18:23:04 - last edited 2022-09-29 18:39:55

To begin with, I have no experience with extending wifi so have been researching for the past week, enough to become more confused about the appropriate solution.

We recently installed the square dish Starlink system in the house and have good wifi out here in the sticks, where fiber is rumored to be at least two years away, and Spectrum wants $10k to run a line to the property. The modem is in the living room at front of house and wifi is fine in all rooms. When within 30' of the house (60' from Starlink modem) wifi is good in the back yard. At 60' (beside the trailer we need good wifi to) wifi is degraded, yet still most times workable. However, when within the aluminum trailer itself, NO wifi signal is available.

The (aluminum framed and sheeted, insulated, with 1/2" plywood interior walls trailer is set up as a recording space. We've been using a wifi hotspot in the trailer, but wifi is often slow. We want to share the Starlink wifi from the house. Trailer is 90' overall from modem, and there are two woodsheds between rear of house and trailer, but with direct line of site between sheds to rear window of house.

Hoping for the best speed in recording room and better reception when outside in rear yard. At present, with only four total wifi devices connected, the need for prioritizing any of these is unnessary.

My first thought was to install a couple Ubiquiti nanobeam type directional devices, one at rear of house, the other on the trailer, but near as I can make out, this would also require adding another router at the trailer (and perhaps other hardware?), and might also cause interference between the Starlink and trailer signals when outside between the two?

I next considered adding a pair of Deco X90's to create a mesh system. One would be inside at rear window of house, the other inside trailer. I thought, if this would work, no additional router would be necessary in the trailer, and roaming around the rear yard would be handled seemlessly by the mesh system. Unsure whether signal would be strong enough between the two X90's in this case, and reading the setup instructions to connect to the Starlink modem (should I be calling that a router?) I see setup requires connecting the Starlink by ethernet cable (after purchasing the requires Starlink ethernet adapter) to the first X90. What I don't understand is if that first X90 would then have to remain connected by ethernet cable, or if, after linking, if it could be moved to rear house window and would then work wirelessly?

Another thought is, IF primary Deco must remain connected by cable when located by the rear window, this would require that I do some crawling under the house to run the line. If so..., as an alternative, perhaps I could just buy ONE Deco (if possible) and a 100' direct burial Ehternet cable and run it from Starlink modem all the way to inside the trailer to the Echo. Seems that, wired into the trailer would provide fastest speeds, and Echo inside trailer would also improve rear yard signal. Seems...., but, with little understanding at this stage, no clue if correct. Alternatively, if buying two Echos is required for the mesh system, would it work to run ethernet cable to the one in the trailer permanently?

I don't mind buying premium hardware to achieve the goal, but wish to avoid buying more than necessary, and/or adding unneeded complexity to the system.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Lance

Options
4 Reply
Re:Starlink in house, wifi to trailer in back yard
2022-09-29 20:50:13

@Strangersfaces,

Your best bet for receiving a stable, strong, and consistent internet connection to your trailer is to run cabling to your Trailer from the Starlink Router with the Ethernet Adapter. Many ethernet cables are rated for burial, so you won't have to worry about having open wires in your yard. Given that you don't have any signal when in the aluminum signal cage, I wouldn't recommend trying to extend your network through wireless means unless the receiver is on the outside of the trailer.

In terms of Hardware Options, if you are only using one router, and aren't interested in the Mesh Functionality, I would recommend purchasing a more powerful router such as one from the Archer Series as the true power of Deco is the backhaul and mesh functionalities. To extend the network of a regular router, you can use either Wireless Range Extenders or Wired Access Points. If you do not require a Wi-Fi Connection in the Trailer, you could always just wire a simple networking switch into the trailer.

There are options for wireless point-to-point such as the one you mentioned however, these are often business-class products and will require more in-depth setup and troubleshooting if an issue arises. While this can provide consistent long-distance connections, I think it may be overkill for what you are trying to achieve, but the one benefit I see is that you can move the trailer without moving the ethernet cables. But I could also see this providing enough interference across the air that your overall signal could be affected.

Regarding some of your points:

The Deco will have to be stayed connected to the router at all times via Ethernet, a wireless connection/extender that functions as you described would officially considered a Range Extender.

A Mesh Network requires multiple Deco Nodes that can effectively communicate with each other.

If you would like to remain with the Deco System, a secondary Deco node is only required if you would like it to be managed from the main router interface. As other routers or wired Access Points can be used to extend the Deco Network to your trailer.

I would recommend starting small to see what is necessary for your situation, placing a separate deco node in your trailer, maybe more than what is needed. I would honestly recommend looking at the different Access Points that can extend a wireless network, at least if you don't use Deco. Otherwise, all of our Deco units work together so you could easily buy a less powerful mesh node to use in the trailer, while relying on the rest of the Deco Nodes to spread the network to the backyard. 

Personally, I think you would be the most pleased with investing in the Deco System, with two strong nodes in your house that can connect to each other wirelessly, and one weaker more affordable Deco node in the Trailer. Another advantage to this is that if your setup isn't sufficient, you can always add a smaller deco node that will automatically work with your network. Remember ALL out Deco Products are compatible with each other, even our powerline Decos, can communicate with our newest models

Options
2022-09-30 01:33:41
Riley, You've given me much to think about and I've been doing further research since receiving your informative reply. I'll be back with scenarios I work out with my limited, by slowly increasing understanding of this arena. In the meantime..., it seems the first Deco must remain connected by ethernet cable, the next nodes do not, correct? Does the Starlink router become a participant in the mesh system, or just function to power the dish? The three others in the household are currently happy with their wifi as is, perhaps not as adventurous as me and wish to keep usage of their Starlink app, so this seems to limit options. Also, none of my ipads or computers are wifi 6 (or 6E) capable, but that will change within the next two years with upgraded hardware. A couple of the other's smart phones are new, so I assume they have the capability. Starlink is wifi 5 at present. Just more to consider when/if buying hardware for my system to prepare for the future. I'll be back with a couple ideas and concerns and will welcome being directed by those with working knowlege. Thanks much, Lance
Options
2022-09-30 15:12:05 - last edited 2022-09-30 15:14:31

@Strangersfaces 

Lance, 

Let me offer you some further clarification and definitions. 
The Starlink Hardware is functioning as a combined Modem and Router with Wi-Fi functionality, within one device. Many devices combine these functions.

Definitions:
LAN - 
    All network connected devices in your home, either by wired Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

WAN - 
    The World Wide Internet, all networked devices outside of your home

Modem - This device converts data from an analog transmission medium such as telephone, radio or satellite into a digital format suitable for transmission over wires.
    In the case of Starlink The Satellite antenna receives the Internet signal from the orbiting satellite and converts the radio waves into digital electrical pulses. 
    That data is sent back and forth between the Starlink Satellite in orbit to and the Modem side of the Starlink hardware. 

Router - Search on Cloudflare dot com 
A router can perform many functions. Primarily it controls sending and receives data between the Modem and your local network(LAN).  
Secondarily there are many sub functions like maintaining and assigning network IP addresses for all your connected devices; cell phones, computers, smart connected devices like Google Home or Amazon Alexa.
It controls how each of your LAN connected devices communicate with each other and then out to the WAN.

Switch - Search on Cloudflare dot com
This device allows your to connect multiple wired Ethernet devices together from one connection. Many times a combined Modem/Router/AP will also have an internal small 4 or 5 port switch, allowing more than one Ethernet connection..     

Wi-Fi Access Point - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_access_point
This device can be separate or part of a Router. The Access Point allows Wi-Fi connected devices to communicate with the Router, allowing wired and wireless connected devices in your LAN to communicate.

SSID - 

This is the unique network name/identifier for your Wi-Fi. 

So what you have is a multifunction device in the Starlink hardware.

At a minimum,purchase the Starlink Ethernet Adapter. This will allow you to connect to a Deco if you choose. If you want more Ethernet connections, purchase a small unmanaged network switch like a 5port or 8port TP-Link, from Amazon.

If you wish to extend the network from the Starlink device to other areas of your home, property then you have two choices. Either physical wired Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
As was described you can bury an Ethernet cable out to another part of your property. This is the fastest connection. Or you can purchase the Starlink Mesh to boost the wireless signal further than the Starlink's internal Wi-Fi can reach. You can not use extenders with Starlink Wi-Fi.

DECO MESH
The Deco devices can be configured in either a Router based config or an AP based config.
The Primary Deco Node communicates and connects up to nine other Deco Nodes. You can try an attempt to force one specific Deco node to connect via Wi-Fi to another specific Deco node (Backhaul connections between Deco nodes) by controlling the distance between them and the primary Deco node, but that may not always perform as you would expect.  The entire concept of a Mesh network is each Deco satellite node searches for the best connection to another Deco Node.  However you can use Ethernet cables to directly connect the backhaul between many types of Deco Nodes.
Your wireless devices then connect to the closest Deco Node. This also allows you to move about and the Wi-Fi connections just smoothly transfer from one Deco Node to another. 
https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/kb/detail/452

In most cases you should NEVER have more than one single Wi-Fi network in your home.
If you do not fully understand how to configure route tables and other router functions, to allow communications between the separate Wi-Fi SSIDs, you will cause network disconnects or routing loops.

In a Router configured Deco Mesh, the Primary Deco Node is connected directly to your Modem, replacing both the Router and the Wi-Fi.  In the case of a multifunction device , the internal Router is placed in what is called Bridge Mode and the Wi-Fi is turned off, thus disabling it's functions and allowing the Deco to handle those functions.
That prevents issues where devices in your home LAN can't communicate because each Wi-Fi network is separate from each other by separate routers.
This configuration enables all of the native Deco Gateway functions.

In an AP configuration, the primary Deco connects to the router inside the multifunction device via an Ethernet connection. The multifunction devices AP(access point) is disabled, there by allowing the Deco to manage all Wi-Fi connections. But Routing functions are maintained internal to the multifunction Modem/Router. 

I hope this helps. 

The Deco Knowledgebase can offer you more info. 

You will have no access to the Deco Gateway functions.

Options
2022-10-01 19:45:32 - last edited 2022-10-01 19:49:14

@Strangersfaces 

Update:

The Starlink Ethernet adapter is ordered. A 100' Cat7 direct burial cable will be here next week, along with an AXE95 router, which will be located inside the trailer, which, after setup I'm hoping will allow both wifi signal to ipads and wired connections to my computers when they are back inside. I'm doing a bit of remodeling and sound treatment inside the trailer at the moment, so at present recording to ipads only.

I begin trenching towards house today. The trench will contain two conduits, one to provide water to the trailer (part of the remodel), the other in which to run the Ethernet cable, which will allow easy replacement if faulty and also allow the cable to be pulled and used at the new house I'm building on another property, but won't be moving to for 2-3 years.

What I'm hoping this does is provide wired Ethernet to the computers and also wifi in and near trailer. The trailer has a window in the door on the side away from the house, and that's where I've been parking my wifi hotspot to get the best signal. I suspect the AXE95 wifi signal will be significantly stronger than the hotspot, so that the wifi connection outside, near the trailer, will significantly improve from that currently received from in house Starlink router, even with door closed. I spend lots of time outside, near the trailer and record song demo ideas on the ipad.

The folks in the house are currently happy with their wifi. It's a small house and they can connect just fine wherever they happen to be.

Having studied both informative posts from the two of you, I've spent hours at the knowledge base and also searching other sources of info online about wiring to a second router in an outbuilding. Having said that, I've found no specific information on how to do so with the Archer AXE router, but hope it's doable and will seemlessly appear as the same network as provided by the current Starlink router. If my assumptions are wrong and the AXE95 does not work as desired, it will then be used as the primary router in the new house once complete, where it should still be adequate for the near future, then I'll buy another device for current trailer location.

Meanwhile, it's a beautiful day, a fine day on which to exercise my Hilti electric jackhammer with shovel attachment. Once this trench is complete, I'll then dig another trench in front of the house for conduit in which to run the dish to house Starlink line.

Corrections and suggestions welcome.

Thanks much,

Lance

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 979

Replies: 4