Deco X60 V3 firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-10 16:49:15
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have recently upgraded from a Deco X55 set to an X60 V3 - noticing a firmware with less features than the other used to have.

I noticed that the hardware revisions V1 and V2 do have a more updated firmware, and I am curious to understand when the V3 will receive such update as well. If there is a beta version out there, I would be happy to test that out!

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco X60 V3 firmware update
2022-10-10 18:15:51

@vncz,

It looks like the firmware for the Deco X60 v3 was updated just last month on the 19th. Make sure that you are using the most up-to-date version of the firmware, by comparing your build number to the most recent firmware found on : Deco X60 v3 Downloads

The only beta firmware that I can find in our systems for the Deco X60 is several months old and is meant to address one particular issue that should have been fixed in the most recent update.

If you are interested in testing some of our products and services prior to release, we recommend applying to become a TP-Link beta tester, as these users will sometimes be selected to receive and test products before we even make mention of the device to the public.

Options
2022-10-10 18:22:22
Hey, Thanks for the reply. I already have such version - and yet this firmware is missing a bunch of features that were present in the Deco X55. Namely, the ability to force Deco units to link explicitly against another unit (since the auto linking algorithm is not doing a great job) as well as the ability to force a device to link on a specific Deco Unit. Thanks!
Options
2022-10-10 19:29:36

@vncz,

I think that the only option is to change if the device uses ethernet or wireless backhaul, from what i am seeing, the ability to select the actualy device it is linking to is limited to specific models as the feature is introduced.

Something unseful that I  have learned, is that the Decos will only check for this connection and will optimize its link when it is removed from the power. If you think that your decos are not connecting using the most optimal path, you can disconnect them and reconnect them one at a time in the order that you would like them to connect. this makes the system start with your desired setup and adapt off of that, rather than allowing the Deco to freely connect however it wants.

I will look into whether or not this is an expected feature or if this is limited to specific devices and will report back here.

Options
2022-10-10 19:46:52

@Riley_S 

There would still be the limitation where I cannot force a device to connect to a specific Deco on a specific band (2.4 vs 5). That is possible today on the Deco X55 and I was expecting the same on the Deco X60.

Also - there are way more update firmwares for Deco X60 V1 and V2 - and I do not understand why they are not in pair with the V3 hardware revision. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/256940 is an example

Options
2022-10-10 23:11:37

@vncz,

Can you clarify how you accomplished this on the X55, from my understanding there is no way to choose the bands that a device connects to. For our Deco Line of products, you can disable either the 2.4 or 5Ghz bands, but you cannot create separate SSIDs for the bands.

From everything i can tell, the most recent updates for any of the X60s were in September and they were for the 3.0 and 3.6 versions of the product. If you are asking why there firmware number is higher than the v3, its a result of just being out for a longer period of time and needing more patches. Any updates that occurred to previous versions of the product would have been applied before the newest version is released.

The thread that you are pointing to is one from the EN forum, which may provide different firmware for their products than the US version. Also, it appears that this thread was only in regards to the V1 of the product and fixing/optimizing the older hardware.

Options
2022-10-10 23:24:48
Check out https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/581552 - you can see there is a number of feature that are not on the X60, such as reboot schedule, Custom Signal Source, other DDNS services support, connection preference and so on.
Options
2022-10-13 18:28:05

@Riley_S Any update/thoughs on this?

Options
2022-10-13 20:03:47

@vncz,

It honestly just looks like you're ahead of the game, the post is only a month old and details that it's the first HomeShield model to have the features added. I would imagine that the team is adding these features to other devices that are compatible, such as yours, but it would take time for these features to be released to all models. I have no window into the firmware development process, so there could be other plans or other factors causing the slow development. These are also long-requested features that are just being added, so they may be more technically involved to add.

Options