Good speed with deco app and slow speed on speedtest with Deco M9 Plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-28 11:15:41
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.0.19

Hello.

I have a Fritz!Box 7530 and have recently bought a Deco M9 to improve the wi fi signal on the PC in my home office. The speedtest done by the Deco app near the main router is high, but when I do a speedtest on speedtest.net, it shows a much slower speed, when I'm at the home office.

I have 300Mb download and upload speed from Tango, my internet provider. The Deco app shows 278Mb on speedtest. The speedtest website shows around 70Mb. The Office is just around 10 meters away, it should show full speed. The strenght of signal seems to be good, yet the speed seems to be very lower thant that of the deco app.

Speedtest done with Deco app: Around 280Mb everywhere

Speedtest done with speedtest.net close to main router: Around 280Mb

Speedtest done with speedtest.net in the office, close to satellite: Around 150Mb

Speedtest done with speedtest.net in the office, on the PC: Around 70Mb

I use wireless backhaul, but at such a short distance between the satellite and the main router, I shouldn't get such a lower performance. Specially because deco apps shows the speed I would like to have on the PC.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Good speed with deco app and slow speed on speedtest with Deco M9 Plus
2022-11-28 18:16:52

@Patinhas,

I am not sure what Speed Test service the Deco App is currently using, but I would recommend making sure that you have tried testing on multiple servers. Speed Tests can sometimes automatically choose a server that is not the most efficient for testing the full speed of a connection. Try changing to a location that you recognize to see if the results are any different. It is also always worth using another reputable speed test service to verify your results. 

If the PC is the only device that you are experiencing a slower speed on, I would recommend looking at the settings for your network adapter on your computer, as you may have a setting such as half-duplex enabled that is affecting the overall link speed of the connection.

Options
2022-11-29 08:11:54

@Riley_S,

Thank you for your answer. I've managed to increase the speed on my PC a bit by plugging a lan cable on the satellite in the home office. Still, it performs worse on spedtest website than with the cellphone using the deco app speed test.

Maybe it's a problem with the website itself, but sometimes I get 280Mb download speed, and sometimes I get around 150Mb.

On the PC the results on speedtest website fluctuate a lot. Sometimes I get 130Mb download speed and 0 upload speed, sometimes I get 230Mb download speed and 110Mb upload speed. Even if it's wired to the third satellite.

I've just performed a simultaneous test on speedtest website with both the wired PC and the cellphone, on the same server. I've got 269.22Mb on the cellphone and 102.17Mb on the PC. The cellphone seems to get more stable results on this website, but sometimes I get as low as 100Mb download speed.

My wife's PC on the same office gets similar results to my PC. The difference is that her PC, because of it's placement in the office, can still get a good signal from the Fritz box, and it shows a more stable high speed when connected to it. I've just run a test on her PC with both connections:

5Ghz signal from Fritz box: 199.92Mb download speed and 216.82Mb upload speed.

Signal from deco: 119.09Mb download speed and 173.71 upload speed.

Retest from deco just after: 211.61Mb download speed and 114.63 upload speed.

My wired PC: 88.35Mb download speed and 0 upload speed. It's also fluctuating.

My cellphone: 296.96Mb download speed.

All of them using the same server on speedtest by Ookla website.

Options
2022-11-29 18:20:24

@Patinhas,

From your description of the speeds, it sounds like there may be a setting on that particular PCs network adapter that is influencing the connection. Even if it is not the main reason for a slowdown, a wired PC shouldn't receive lower speeds to this degree an may help improve the stability of the connection.

I would go check the link speed in the windows network settings to ensure that it is listed as 1000 Full Duplex, if it is not, the Ethernet cable may have gone bad, or your PC just didn't negotiate properly with the Decos wired connection. Lastly, have you checked any of the QoS settings on your Deco System to make sure that the listed speed is at or above the speed provided from your ISP?

I would also honestly check another Speed Test provider just to make sure that the servers you are sending traffic to are not overloaded. A Quick way to test the speeds is to use Netflix's Fast.com to check your results.

Options
2022-12-01 09:12:27

@Riley_S 

Thank you for your answer.

The duplex on my PC was indeed set to auto negotiate. I've changed it to full duplex and have been consistently getting download speeds higher than 200Mb since then. Upload speed is never 0 anymore, it's usually around 120-140Mb, so your answer really did help a lot.

Upload speed is still a lot lower than the download speed, on both my PC and my wife's one. QoS has been set to 300 on both download and upload speed on the deco app. Also, for the download speed, while it's a lot better than before, it's still lower than what I get in my cellphone. The cellphone download speed is usually higher than 270Mb, while both PCs are usually at around 200-240Mb. My wife's PC gets upload speeds higher than 200Mb when it receives signal from the Fritz Box and around 120-140Mb when it receives signal from the deco satellite. Same with my PC, that is wired to the satellite. Could it be that her PC receive less signal because my PC is wired to the satellite in the office?

Fast.com seems to show slightly better upload speeds. My PCs upload speed range from 140-160Mb in this website, while my wife's PCs upload speed range from 160-180Mb.

Thank you very much!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 502

Replies: 4

Related Articles