Deco X20 is not a mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X20 is not a mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco X20 is not a mesh
Deco X20 is not a mesh
2023-01-31 02:12:18
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

As has been noted by others in this forum - the Deco X20 forces you into a star network configuration with every satellite node being connected to whichever node you designated as Main. 

This may work in certain topographies - but if your Main node is far away from your furthest satellite - having an intermediary node between them will not improve your performance as the distant node will not connect to the intermediary node - and will maintain a weak/weaker link back to the Main node,

It appear the latest software release fixes this for some of the Deco line - but not the X20.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco X20 is not a mesh
2023-02-01 01:13:37

@jimrjones,

If I am not mistaken, I do not believe that a true mesh configuration can actually be achieved in a LAN setting, or at least easily, as there will always have to be one node that is communicating over the WAN connection with your ISP.

The Decos are meant to create something of a faux mesh that technically falls under Star Topology with Daisy Chaining, the devices are meant to connect with each other over long distances so that this exact situation does not occur. If your farthest node can see a connection to the main node that is usable for data transfer, it appears that the deco may favor this so that latency and wireless overhead is not introduced to the connection.

Once a deco unit establishes its route to the main node, this will not change unless the node is disconnected or restarted. As such, sometimes rebooting the furthest node after the network is configured will cause the connection to daisy chain through nodes.

The development team is slowly rolling these features out to users in the latest firmware updates. This last week actually saw a few different deco models being updated to support the feature, with additional models to come as the firmware is developed. I will try to post updates to the forum when new models receive the 1.6.0 firmware the adds theses features.

Options
Re:Deco X20 is not a mesh
2023-03-21 15:00:13
I suppose that's technically true if all traffic is destined for the ISP via a single egress. If there were any P2P traffic a mesh on a LAN is conceivable. Thanks, I didn't know the X20 would daisy chain if the Main Node is too distant. Appreciate the updates and love the management app.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 434

Replies: 2

Related Articles