Deco X60 support for two ISPs separately

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-08 08:50:43
Tags: #x60
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have Deco X60 and two ISPs at my home. I know that this model cannot support multi-wan and load balancing etc. so I want to know if I can do something more simple. When my one ISP goes down I will manually unplug one Ethernet cable, plug the other one for the second ISP and do this kind of manual failover switch. Its not a big trouble for me as it will happen rarely. Can I somehow set up the Deco X60 so it supports the two configurations for the two ISPs and maybe have a way to switch in the app from one ISP to the other? Again, I won't ever plug the two ISP cables into the X60 at the same time ever.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X60 support for two ISPs separately
2023-09-08 18:08:34

@alexvdv,

There is no way to configure this properly; you can only give your network its best shot for changing its connection. Make sure that you have configured your network using dynamic IP, as this should allow the IP address to change.

After talking with my team, if your situation fits the bill perfectly - you may be able to actually connect both connections to the main Deco. You cannot choose which would be used for the active WAN as when one WAN ethernet connection is found, the others will turn to LAN connections. 

It is also likely that you would still need the DHCP leases to expire, so you may have to reboot the Deco or wait an hour for the Deco to reconnect with the other WAN.

Without extra hardware, your best option is really to manually perform the reconnect.

Options
2023-09-08 18:27:13

@Riley_S thank you for the effort to help me! Ok, I guess I will need a balancing router which will handle the two ISPs. One last request - do you think this option would be a decent choice - https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er605/ ? I see V1 and V2 options and I am not sure if it would matter for compatibility between the Deco XC60 and the balancing router. Or is there some other product you would recommend? 

Options
2023-09-08 19:01:01

@alexvdv,

I mean, once you add a router above the Decos they will need to be configured in AP Mode rather than as a router. In AP mode, they are a much simpler network and will work with most any setup. 

The ER605 is popular as i see a lot of users with it, however we only deal with consumer-level products so i cannot provide the best recommendation. 

You may also consider that a simple switch between your modem and Deco may be able to 'turn on/off' a specific ethernet(WAN) connection, we don't quite know how the Deco will handle the transfer, but it may allow for you to make changes on demand.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 249

Replies: 3

Tags

x60
Related Articles