Deco WiFi mesh do not work with devices connected on IOT network

2023-10-18 21:51:18
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.3 Build 20230906 Rel. 59213

Hello,

I've set up a mesh network at my home using the Deco M5 as the primary router, two E4R satellites connect to them.

Here are the firmware details:

• E4R (1.0): 1.5.4 Build 20211101 Rel. 75384
  • M5 (3.2): 1.7.3 Build 20230906 Rel. 59213

Previously, my IoT devices were connected to the main network without any issues.

However, after transitioning them to the IoT network, I observed that they don't utilize the mesh technology. Instead of connecting to the closest E4R, they default to the M5 main router.

This isn't limited to just my smart switches; my iPhone 14 Pro (supporting 5GHz) behaves similarly. When connected to the IoT network, my iPhone defaults to the M5, but it promptly connects to the nearest deco device (E4R) when I switch back to the standard WiFi network.

Devices I'm trying to connect include Smart Plugs, Smart vacuum Robot, Philips Hue lights, and others, all of which seem to face the same connectivity pattern.

To provide some more details:

• My Deco devices are set to Router mode, and they connect seamlessly to each other.
  • The IoT-connected devices have their mesh option enabled.
  • I've toggled and tested the IoT network with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, but the problem persists.
  • The Beamforming setting is active, Fast Roaming setting is disabled and I've reserved IPs for a few devices (a printer and PC), though I doubt this causes the issue.

Has anyone faced similar challenges? Any insights or solutions on how to make the mesh system function optimally with the IoT network would be greatly appreciated!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco WiFi mesh do not work with devices connected on IOT network
2023-10-19 00:19:55 - last edited 2023-10-19 00:20:03

Hey @ganeshr,

Unfortunately, from what I am reading about your case, it sounds as though its is simply a case about model compatibility and firmware versions.

The IoT network feature is relatively new and was only released in the last year. In this update, there are a few features that are limited if you have nodes on your network that are not compatible with the features and have not been updated - such as the IoT network, and the signal source preference options.

In general, the recommendation has been to wait until your model receives the update, however, the E4R is an older device at this point, and I have no insight into whether the model will receive an update for these features. Until your E4Rs are updated so that they know how to broadcast the IoT network, it will only be broadcast from the main node.

Options
2024-03-26 03:53:07

@Riley_S  I have {2) XE75 and the IoT Network switched on and besides the IoT devices only connecting to the Main deco unit that's further away, not all connected devices appear on the client list.  I specifically bought the 2nd XE75 today just to get better reception for my Kasa KD110 doorbell, but it's still only connecting to my original unit.  Everything else not on the IoT Network is connecting to the new unit since it's closer.  Just not devices in the IoT Network.

Options
2024-08-19 10:54:07

@ganeshr 

Did you find a solution? I have the same issue

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1201

Replies: 3

Related Articles