AC1900 Wireless MU-MIMO WiFi Router (Archer A8 V1) - issues after updating firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AC1900 Wireless MU-MIMO WiFi Router (Archer A8 V1) - issues after updating firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-19 22:57:54
Model: Archer A8  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Firmware Version: 1.13.2 Build 230824 Rel.74702n(5553)

MY SETUP:

(1) TP-LINK AC1900 Wireless MU-MIMO WiFi Router (Archer A8 V1) - firmware 1.13.2 Build 230824 Rel.74702n(5553)

(2) TP-LINK RE505X v1.0 - firmware: 1.0.12 Build 20211107 Rel. 182157 (OneMesh enabled)

(1) TP-LINK Tether (app) v4.3.7

THE ISSUES:

After updating the router's firmware today from: Archer A8(US)_V1_1.12.10 Build 230208 to: Archer A8(US)_V1_1.13.2 Build 230824 I experienced the following issues:

NOTE: I used the TP-Link Tether (app) to upgrade the firmware on my router -- I've done it before, so not new to this procedure.

NOTE 2: I also have the router and the two extenders setup by enabling the OneMesh feature.

1. On the TP-Link Tether (app): all the icons of all the clients (devices) were changed to the PC monitor icon on both the router and mesh extenders.
  2. On the TP-Link Tether (app): though on the router, MY personalized names of the clients (devices) were kept intact, the mesh extenders have all the names back to default per client (device).
  3. On the TP-Link Tether (app): When I attempted to change the icon of any device (under the router), the name of the devices get pruned (see issue #4 below for more details).
  4. On the TP-Link Tether (app): On the router, spaces within a name are no longer accepted.  For example, if I name a client (device) as: Bedroom Fan, it will only show Bedroom when I return back from editing the device in the app. So I have to get creative by either renaming it to: BedroomFan (using no spaces) or using dashes: Bedroom-Fan.
  5. On the TP-Link Tether (app): after updating the clients names and icons under the router, these changes do not get updated to the mesh extenders.

FEEDBACK/WORKAROUND:

Though this other one I'd like to report wasn't an issue, but I wanted to bring it to your attention. 

After the firmware update when I tried getting into the settings of my router using the Tether app.  It kept asking for a password.  At first I thought it was asking for the TP-Link ID password, but after a few fails, I read carefully what it was asking for, and it was the router's password that I had set a while back when I first set up the router.

In past firmware updates using the Tether app, it would never ask for this password.  I'm sure other users will have this login problem.

Just thought I'd give you feedback on this one at the same time highlight the workaround for others that may read this and find themselves having this loging issue, the issue is that the password that it's requesting is different.

WISHLIST:

1. Is there anyway to make sure that the router's icons and names on the Tether app sync between each other like in the past?  In the past firmware, if I changed the name and icon on any device (i.e. router or extenders) it would sync / update the client name and icon on all of them throughout the Tether app.
  2. Also, when will the icons / and names also match between the Tether app and the actual web GUIs of the router and extenders?
Options
5 Reply
Re:AC1900 Wireless MU-MIMO WiFi Router (Archer A8 V1) - issues after updating firmware
2023-12-20 19:51:20

@JTAJ,

Thanks for bringing it to our attention - we definitely want to try to minimize inconveniences and unexpected behaviors.

I will definitely feedback the information that our teams should work to find a way to make sure that either the images/names are not lost between updates, or to try and minimize cases where they do. This firmware update was likely a larger feature update - resulting in the behaviors that you saw.

As for the spaces in the client names, I am not sure if this is intended or not. This is not an uncommon requirement for client names since some devices have difficulty deciphering the spaces, and is technically a best practice, see: Special Characters in Wi-Fi name and Password - Basically, you want to choose names that you would feel comfortable using in something like a web address or file path - I often see users choose to use Dashes or Underscores in client device names for max compatibility and readability.

For the local login - I am not sure why you were prompted for the admin account - but you likely have one configured in your settings or created one and bound your account later. I would have been curious to know if you would have been prompted for a TP-Link ID if you were not connected to the router's Wi-Fi. It may be that your Tether App will prompt you for this login when attempting to control the router over your local network.

Out of curiosity, did any of the devices eventually recover their settings after reconnecting to the network a few times? Or were settings completely lost?

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
Re:AC1900 Wireless MU-MIMO WiFi Router (Archer A8 V1) - issues after updating firmware
2023-12-25 02:03:19

Riley_S wrote

@JTAJ,

Out of curiosity, did any of the devices eventually recover their settings after reconnecting to the network a few times? Or were settings completely lost?

@Riley_S  Which settings are you referring to?

Options
2023-12-27 17:37:30

Hey @JTAJ,

Oftentimes, devices will not accurately communicate their device names when reconnecting. I have seen it take a few reconnects for devices to properly show their correct device name. I was curious if after the devices had disconnected and reconnected from the network, if any had been able to take on their older settings and reservations if you didn't make changes to the rule.

I will mention that we are about to see a bit of a revamp to the Tether App, so I am forwarding the requests in hopes that some of your requests can make it into the update.

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

Options
2023-12-28 09:59:19 - last edited 2023-12-28 10:01:50

@Riley_S  Ah, I see. 

Yes, after I noticed the issues, I did reboot all devices (i.e. router and the extenders " OneMesh ") -- just to see if it would all reset or fall back to my personalized user settings after the firmware update.  But no dice.

So I had to manually rename them all (one at a time using the Tether app), until every client device was tagged (name and icon).

Another thing I want to highlight is that even though I've renamed all the clients (devices connected to my router/mesh extenders (models listed above) using the Tether app, the only devices that the clients renamed names are not shown is when I log into the mesh extenders (models listed above). 

And what I mean by logging into them is by entering the IP address on my browser to get into it's GUI.  This been the issue since I purchased them.  That no matter what I rename the client on the Tether app or on the router's GUI (using it's own IP address to login).  The mesh extenders don't show these renamed names, instead it defaults to whatever the default name is for the clients (devices).

For example (note I am using fake client names, the MAC and IP addresses for this example):

On the Tether APP both the Router and also on the mesh extender displays the CORRECT renamed device:

Name - Connection Type - IP Address - MAC Address

MFone - 5GHz - 192.168.1.22 - 9E-H0-FA-22-99-01

On the Router using it's IP address to login on my browser displays the CORRECT renamed device:

MFone - 5GHz - 192.168.1.22 - 9E-H0-FA-22-99-01

Only on the mesh extender using it's IP address to login on my browser displays the INCORRECT renamed device.

UA345 - 5GHz - 192.168.1.22 - 9E-H0-FA-22-99-01

Basically the mesh extender displays the default name of the clients -- no matter what I rename them in the router or tether app.

Options
2024-01-02 19:07:27

@JTAJ,

There is a behavior in the communication between range extenders and routers that causes something similar, however the MAC addresses between the Range Extender and Router should be different. 

With a wireless connection to the router, some REs will work as a proxy and actually replace part of the client's MAC address with a portion of the MAC address of the Range Extender. Compare the MAC address for the device to what is seen at each point(RE, router) - do the MAC addresses line up?

It may be that the Tether App is working to make the experience easier by automatically combining/correcting the entry in the app - while the router shows a more raw version of the client information. Lastly, I do not think that changing the name of the device changes how your device identifies while broadcasting its presence across the network, only how the Tether App relays the device, which may explain the behavior when looking at the RE's UI.

Options