2 Port Forwards both trigger the same application despite having different ports

2 Port Forwards both trigger the same application despite having different ports

2024-02-27 21:53:23 - last edited 2024-02-27 22:02:56
Model: Archer AX4400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest available

I have two Windows 11 computers on my network that I want to access using Remote Desktop.  In the past with a Netgear router I was able to set both of these up with no problem and could get to either machine. 

I have a DDNS with no-ip and it is registering with my Router.  I have the Router in Router Mode, and my Fiber Modem is set up with IP Pass through. 

I'm able to access everything in terms of browsing and general networking  However since I have moved over to TPLink, I cannot duplicate my Port Forwarding success I experienced with the Netgear. 

First of all, setting up the Port Forward on the TPLink, the External port seems to not matter as I have used both a range of all ports (1-65535) and individual ports but I settled on the full range of ports. When I try to setup another computer which has a different IP and a different port, I cannot add the full range of ports for External Port because TPLink doesn't allow overlap with any other port forwards.   This WAS NOT the case with the Netgear Router.

So I have two port forwards setup and instead of using the full range of External Ports, I used the same external port that I use for the internal port.  This works for computer 1 So I duplicated this on Computer 2 using a different External and Internal port  and have it forwarding to a different IP. I decided to use different single ports for the External port which is the same as the internal port

As an example Port Forward

Service Name Device IP Address External Port Internal Port Protocol Status Modify

RDP83

TCP

RDP47

TCP

My problem is that Service Name RDP47 works fine and it it forwards it to 192.168.2.87

However when I try to connect to RDP83, instead of it forwarding it to 192.168.2.74, it forwards it to 192.168.2.87

I can connect to both of these computers using local LAN addresses which proves there is nothing wrong with the RDP side, and I know this doesn't go through the port forwarding logic.

I've tried to use Port triggering but I can't get anything to work with that option

Options
2 Reply
Re:2 Port Forwards both trigger the same application despite having different ports
2024-02-27 23:37:47

@dskyzedisme,

As far as I can tell, you should have everything properly configured; the only thing to do would be to double-check the IP and DNS configuration. I would also make sure that your devices are all using the most up-to-date settings by rebooting the client devices and router.

I recommend taking a look at our FAQ for configuring the Port Forwarding Feature, which includes a step-by-step guide and some troubleshooting tips: 1379

Configure the Port Forwarding Feature on Your Archer Router

Are you using the DDNS settings that are included with your router, or do you have a local DNS server? Have you tried changing your DNS settings to see if it happens to affect the communication?

As you have set up a new network, you will also need to make sure that your Windows firewall settings are all properly configured - the settings on one may be blocking the connection.

Check out this quick FAQ for some quick tips to troubleshoot, such as ensuring that you have a correct IP configuration: Why Does Port Forwarding on my Router or Deco not Work?

---

I would highly recommend taking a look at the forums for Remote Desktop across the web as it appears that you can change the listening port through the configuration. It appears as though it is a common problem when multiple computers are on the same network. By changing the listening port on one of the PCs, it will not have the traffic redirected in the first place.

Options
Re:2 Port Forwards both trigger the same application despite having different ports
2024-02-28 22:36:22

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the information, I'm not using an internal DNS and I have both computers using different ports than the standard 3389, the one that connects without problem is using port 24242 and the one that won't connect is using 35535.  The windows firewalls are both setup to allow traffic coming to their respective ports. 

All network devices have been rebooted numerous times and as mentioned in my  post, I can get to both to these machines using RDP when I am local by using their LAN IP address instead of the DDNS domain name.

I'll take a look at the areas you mentioned and see if I can figure it out

Thanks again.. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 73

Replies: 2

Related Articles