Deco BE85 network extremely unstable

2024-02-29 13:28:30 - last edited 2024-02-29 18:57:28
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 20240117 Rel. 52274

I've recently installed a Deco BE85 mesh network in my small office with a view to improving network speed & coverage.

Unfortunately our experience so far has been extremely frustrating.  We've changed the setup, reseted to factory settings and started from scratch more than 5 times already in the last couple of weeks.  Still the network is showing a lot of instability.

The current setup is:

Modem > Cisco > Firewall (asigns IPs) > Switch > 5 x Deco BE85 in Access Point mode wired on Ethernet.

The office is about 5,000 sq ft and the Decos are set widely appart from each other.

We've only enabled the 5Ghz network for internal use and set the visitor network to just use the 2.4Ghz band.

6Ghz is enabled for wireless backhaul even if we have the whole setup wired, and MLO is not enabled.  We tried to keep it as simple as possible.

To give you a clear & recent example:  After a factory reset yesterday and installing then testing each Deco one by one, it was working fine.  I left the last Deco for this morning, and when I added it to the wired setup, everything stopped working again.  No or very poor connection on all devices.

Please help.  Error log here.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco BE85 network extremely unstable
2024-03-01 06:36:59

@fedcella 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

May I know how many mobile devices are usually connected to the Deco Mesh?

How often would they often drop out from the network? Can I have the model numbers of the devices that are frequently disconnected?

Would there be any cable-connected devices? Do they have a stable connection?

It is also suggested to refer to this link to turn off the “Mesh Technology", Fast roaming as well as Beamforming to see whether it could improve the stability.

Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network (case3)

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-03-01 12:33:00 - last edited 2024-03-01 14:03:44

Hi @David-TP

I ended up factory resetting everything and so far it's looking good.  If something comes up again I'll follow those steps.

Just a few questions which are not covered there and an outline of our setup:

798e4bdfaf4d4c9ea9c807133004719c

1. Given that we have a firewall asigning dynamic IPs internally, between the router (in access point mode) and the modem, should Smart DHCP in the AP's be turned on or off?

2. All AP's have a wired backhaul as they are connected to the same switch, and they appear as connected through Ethernet between them on the Deco App.  But they also show as connected through all the 2.4, 5 and 6Ghz bands.  Is the wireless backhaul even needed when they are wired?  Can the wireless backhaul create interference on the channels used between the AP and client devices?  Is there a way to turn it off?  

Thank you for your help.

Options
2024-03-05 01:32:59

@fedcella 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

If you haven't met any issues of DHCP conflict, it would be great to keep "Smart DHCP" as default(on).

As the Wi-Fi 7 devices, Deco BE85 supports MLO(Multi-Link Operation) which allows the Backhaul between two Deco BEs to be able to utilize Ethernet, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 6 GHz bands simultaneously increases throughput, reduces latency, and improves reliability. The Mesh Backhaul shouldn't interfere with the clients' wireless connection and couldn't be turned off.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 194

Replies: 3

Related Articles