Can I automate the turning off of lights attached to a HS200?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-18 16:44:12
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

I have a Ring security system with sensors on doors/windows and cameras in several rooms. I have an Echo Show and Echo Dot (i.e., Amazon Alexa) in a couple rooms. For the garage, the light switch is on the wall by the door leading into the garage. Since the switch is not inside the garage, I cannot use a Kasa Smart motion activated switch. So, via an Alexa routine, I have the HS200 turning on the lights in the garage as soon as the Ring system realizes the door is open and then there is another routine that turns on the lights in the garage when the Ring camera in the garage detects motion. Those routines work smoothly. Since the kids always forget to turn the lights off, I figured I would create a routine to turn them off. So, I set up an Alexa routine that is supposed to turn off the lights when the Ring camera does not recognize motion for 5 minutes, but it does not work.

The routine to turn off the lights looks like this:

Name: Garage Lights Off

Trigger: When the House Garage Camera detects no motion for 5 minutes then

Action: Garage Lights Power: Off

It works just fine if I press the "play" button in the Alexa app to run the routine. However, it does not work in real life. If I open the door, the light comes on, I get something out of the garage, I do not click the HS200 after leaving the garage, and the lights stay on until I turn them off with the Kasa app or I manually click the HS200 some 10+ minutes later.

I looked at IFTTT and there did not appear to be an option to run an "applet" to turn off the lights, only turn them on.

Is there any way to create some routine that will turn off lights when a camera or motion sensor does not detect motion? I have several Ring motion sensors that I could use to accomplish this, if need be.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can I automate the turning off of lights attached to a HS200?
2022-08-18 20:44:48

@fabsroman,

Since you seem to be invested in the Amazon-based ecosystem, I would recommend maybe using the Alexa app or the smart things app to create these types of automation, that way all of the device status' and information is contained in one heavily supported ecosystem. When configured using applications focused on smart home use, additional features will be available to you such as customization of schedules and more detailed automation options.

Also, as a personal recommendation from my automations, I have had better consistency with my automations when using wait commands instead of having your automation look at the device for 5 minutes. Most of these sensors are simply states with only off and on.

A lot of my automations look like this and restart when the state goes from off to on.

Detect Motion > Turn on Lights > Wait 5 Minutes > Wait for Motion to Not be Detected > Wait 60 Seconds > Turn off lights

As for the IFTTT applet, I will ask our team and get back to you if this is a limitation or an overlooked feature. However, I would still highly recommend looking for a unified smart home application such as Alexa, SmartThings, Homekit, or other third-party applications(OpenHAB, Home Assistant) that support the brands of devices that you already have.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 314

Replies: 1