All kasa cams offline for only one phone

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-21 21:47:27

I'm currently out of town and my wife is at home. We have three different types of cams: outdoor, pan and tilt, and stick cam. I'm getting motion updates, but when I try to bring the camera up I can't. When I initially open the app it'll show all cameras good and recent activity times within minutes. But when I tap to access them the cameras then go "offline" and gray out.

My wife, who is at home, can access the cameras just fine. I've restarted my phone as well as uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Sometimes I get a "can't reach the server" error.

Any ideas what the problem could be or a solution?

Options
1 Reply
Re:All kasa cams offline for only one phone
2023-10-23 19:03:23 - last edited 2023-10-23 19:03:31

@Radiotot,

So your wife is looking at the camera feeds via the local wi-fi connection. Your camera feeds have to leave your network, pass through AWS servers, and then to your phone.

If your wife disconnects from the Wi-Fi network at your home, is she able to view the camera feeds?

You may have your wife simply reboot the cameras to see if it was just the cameras that had lost their cloud connection. Otherwise, it is likely that the traffic is being either blocked by your router or parental controls. If these are on an IoT network, your activity may for some reason be blocked due to suspicious activity by mistake.

One thing that is easy to change, is your DNS server. Changing this will, at the very least cause your traffic to pass through a different route and server once it leaves your network. I would also check your connection, can you view the cameras via your mobile connection rather than Wi-Fi? Do you happen to have any data saver settings on your phone set? Do you have a VPN set on your phone?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 260

Replies: 1

Related Articles