Kasa smart plug is suddenly offline to SmartHub & smartthings app cannot reconnect

Kasa smart plug is suddenly offline to SmartHub & smartthings app cannot reconnect

2 weeks ago
Model: KP303  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Two days ago this outlet was linked & online on my Smarthub, and operated by Google Nest voice & a daily routine. Yesterday the lights on this strip failed to turn on, and showed as offline in the Smartthings app.

The plug and lights are fine in the Kasa app, operable.

I removed the devices from my Smarthings app, and unlinked TPLink/Kasa.

Now I cannot relink my account.

In the Smartthings app I see that I can add a partner device TPLink/Kasa, but if I choose this and login with my TPLink account, I have to choose scan a qr code or scan nearby.

Scan nearby does not find anything, as the device is not in pairing mode. I expected this to be picked up from the TPLink account information. But apparently this fails.

If I try in Smartthings to link my account, I get put in a cycle: "you can add ... existing devices ...  by linking your account" so I login at the next screen, but after several seconds I am back at the same message: an endless cycle of login as if it never happened. I am using the TPLink account I use in my Kasa app and online at tplink.

The outlet is up in a loft, and my memory is it was a hassle to pair originally so I hesitate to start over.

Are there any alternatives?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Kasa smart plug is suddenly offline to SmartHub & smartthings app cannot reconnect
2 weeks ago

@PTArtist,

Hmmm. I just tested the login process on my phone and after providing the login for your Kasa account, I am brought back into the Smartthings App with a list of devices that I can add to SmartThings, in case I want to change the room or device name. If you try to add the Kasa Smart Service again, it should bring you to a page for your existing linked services. If you tap on the Kasa Integration then you can see what devices were added to the Smartthings App. If you see your device there, it is possible it was moved to another home, room, or hidden from view.

If it is the login itself failing, you may try logging in while you are not connected to your Wi-fi network and use you cellular connection instead. After logging in, you should be presented with a configuration screen for the devices.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
Re:Kasa smart plug is suddenly offline to SmartHub & smartthings app cannot reconnect
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Unfortunately I never see the list of devices. I only cycle between linking/logging in to TPLink, then back to a button for linking again. The devices are there in Kasa app, but never visible in the Smartthings app.

I don't believe the login is failing, if I do intentionally mistype the password or account I see the "invalid account or password message".

Options