EasyMesh Routers Support Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW

EasyMesh Routers Support Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW

793 Reply
Re:EasyMesh Routers Support Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW
2023-10-19 06:01:12

akalus wrote

@TechThomas 
Perfect! I've been waiting two years for this feature. Thanks for the info.

@akalus 

You may give it a try since TechThomas confirmed that Ethernet Backhaul does work.blush

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:EasyMesh Routers Support Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW
2023-10-19 08:46:27

@akalus  @TechThomas  

I'm updating to inform you that Archer AX73 V1 does support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul. Thank you both for your input.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-10-19 08:54:11

@Kevin_Z 

what about Archer AX53 v1.0? it support ethernet backhaul?

i turn AX73 v1 as main and i was trying to set Archer AX53 v1.0 as sattelite but it is impossible to find it.

Options
2023-10-19 09:11:41

@Gawej 

Both AX73 and AX53 support EasyMesh and there should be no issues when building up an EasyMesh network. Please check and update to the latest firmware on both routers.

I'm not 100% sure whether AX53 V1 supports Ethernet Backhaul or not, as there is no mention of that in the firmware release note:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-ax53/#Firmware

But you have already got the two, you can give it a try to check if they can build up a mesh network via Ethernet Backhaul. You may refer to the following guide:

How to Build an Ethernet Backhaul Using Two EasyMesh Routers?

Options
2023-10-19 14:43:29

Kevin_Z wrote

@DrNerd Please refer to my original post here in the link below, you will find AX10 already supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/593722

Just make sure you're on the latest firmware, and you will be able to build up a mesh network with Ethernet cables.

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for all the support you provide here. Amazing job!

I have an AX72 V1(US) and an AX10 V1.20(US). Both indeed support EasyMesh Ethernet backhaul, but in my case only under some special conditions.

What I did: (1) factory reset both routers, (2) minimal configuration of the AX72 (master device), and (3) follow the recommended the initial EasyMesh setup, using an Ethernet backhaul cable between the LAN ports of both routers.

Immediately after the setup, EasyMesh works as expected, Wi-Fi devices can roam between routers, network speed is excellent (wired/wireless). If I turn off both devices, and then turn on AX10 only after AX72 has restarted, EasyMesh also restarts perfectly.

The problem is when you restart one of the modems, but not both, or if you restart the AX10 and then the AX72. In this case, it takes a while to AX10 to connect and, after that, the network becomes extremely slow (wired & wireless). The only way to recover is to turn off both devices and restart them in the sequence AX72->AX10.

The problem here are power outages. As I have a power backup on the AX72, when power comes back and the AX10 restarts, the entire network is unusable until I manually restart both routers in the proper sequence.

Is this the expected EasyMesh behavior? Is there a way to prevent this problem?

Some additional information: while in the unusable network state, the web interface of the AX72 becomes almost unresponsive, most options fail (time-out). The problem only shows up if the two routers are close enough to establish a wireless connection (which unfortunately is my case). If the Ethernet backhaul is the only way to connect (routers far apart), then everything works as expected, irrespective of the restart order. I'm using latest firmware on AX72 and version 1.3.8 (the one in OP) on AX10, as version 1.3.9 (the latest) was far more unstable for EasyMesh in my experience.

Options
2023-10-19 16:12:22

@Gawej Hi, how did you get your AX73 v1 upgraded to the latest easymesh supported firmware? Coz the lastest firmware haven't appear when i tried to check for new firmware on theter app & router GUI.

Options
2023-10-19 20:03:31

@Omg7788 

i got notification in the tehter app with the new firmware.

Options
2023-10-20 07:00:07

@MCP1 

Thank you very much for your detailed and specific description regarding the EasyMesh network issue between AX73 and AX10. We appreciate it.

Just want to confirm some more details, when you mean the unstable issue, do you refer to the previously mentioned slow issue when only the AX10 gets restarted?

MCP1 wrote

Some additional information: while in the unusable network state, the web interface of the AX72 becomes almost unresponsive, most options fail (time-out). The problem only shows up if the two routers are close enough to establish a wireless connection (which unfortunately is my case). If the Ethernet backhaul is the only way to connect (routers far apart), then everything works as expected, irrespective of the restart order. I'm using latest firmware on AX72 and version 1.3.8 (the one in OP) on AX10, as version 1.3.9 (the latest) was far more unstable for EasyMesh in my experience.

Does the mentioned issue happen when the AX10 connects to the AX73 via EasyMesh wirelessly and via Ethernet, or does it only happen when they connect via wireless?

What is the distance between them when they connect via wireless? What if you move the AX10 farther away from the main AX73?

Options
2023-10-20 07:03:22 - last edited 2023-10-20 07:03:53

@Kevin_Z Just wanted to let you know that the easymesh website for Malaysia got updated since yesterday with the AX73 in the list https://www.tp-link.com/my/easymesh/product-list/ , but still no firmware. I'll be checking the firmware everyday but just wanted to let you know in case someone brings it up.

Options
2023-10-20 15:56:59 - last edited 2023-10-20 16:03:46

Kevin_Z wrote

Just want to confirm some more details, when you mean the unstable issue, do you refer to the previously mentioned slow issue when only the AX10 gets restarted?

Does the mentioned issue happen when the AX10 connects to the AX73 via EasyMesh wirelessly and via Ethernet, or does it only happen when they connect via wireless?

What is the distance between them when they connect via wireless? What if you move the AX10 farther away from the main AX73?

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, the issue is the same, very slow network speeds (from 500Mbps+ to about 30Mps), terrible latency (seconds!), and internet access instability. It happens: (1) if I restart the AX10 after the two routers boot in the sequence AX72->Ax10, or (2) if I reboot the two routers at the same time, or (3) if I restart the AX10 first and then the AX72.

When there is just the wireless connection, Easymesh work fine in any circumstance, just slower. The issue happens only when the Ethernet backhaul cable is connected.

The two routers are about 20m apart, with 2 brick walls in between. In this position, the EasyMesh connection can be established both wireless (backhaul disconnected) or wired.

If I move the AX10 farther away (50m, 6 walls), so they cannot establish a wireless EasyMesh connection, the Ethernet backhaul always works fine, regardless of the router boot sequence. However, in this place, part of my house looses Wi-Fi connectivity :-(

My main router is an AX72, not the AX73.

Thanks for the attention!

Options