EasyMesh Routers Support Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW

EasyMesh Routers Support Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW

817 Reply
Re:EasyMesh Routers Support Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW
2023-12-28 13:53:04 - last edited 2023-12-28 14:00:54

@Sunshine 

Thanks Sunshine. I tried Method 2 : i.e. connect main router with satellite router on LAN port and tried to login to main router TP-Link webpage but it kept disconnecting (also the internet din't work). Few times when it connected, it was getting logged into the satellite webpage (I could verify based on MAC address).

I also tried connecting main router with WAN port of satellite router and I could see it in connected device of main router. But it still doesn't show up in Mesh network. I have double checked firmware and both are updated.

Options
Re:EasyMesh Routers Support Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW
2023-12-28 14:09:14

@Milan_b 

Hi,

Note that it is very important that you do not create a login password and log into the router that is to become the EasyMesh Satellite after you have prepared that router by changing the mode to "Satellite" or performing a factory reset.

Logging into the router that has been prepared to become a Satellite will break the "Add Satellite" process.

Options
2023-12-28 14:14:36

@woozle thanks but I'm not able to figure how to change the new router mode to Satellite without login into it?

Options
2023-12-28 14:25:22

@Milan_b 

It is okay to login to change the mode to "Satellite". But after the mode was changed (rooter will reboot automatically) you should not login again.

By the way, personally I find it much easier to just reset the router to factory defaults via the physical button on the router (press and hold "Reset" for about 5 seconds) and after it has booted up again I just add it as a Satellite from the Main router's web interface.

Options
2023-12-28 14:32:35

@woozle I have been doing this I.e factory reset the new router and try to add it as satellite from main router. However it doesn't show up in the search ( I have tried with everything I.e a) without LAN connected b) LAN wire connected in LAN of new router and 3) LAN wire connected in WAN of new router).

Options
2023-12-28 14:44:26

@Milan_b 

Ok.

Also make sure two Archer C6 are not too far away from each other when attempting to add the Satellite. (preferably within the same room)

Since both routers are Archer C6 V4, have you tested whether the result is any different if you switch them around? Like, use the other Archer C6 as Satellite and make the new C6 the Main router.

Options
2023-12-28 15:00:32

@woozle 

Firmware up to date on all devices?

Options
2023-12-28 15:48:32

@Kevin_Z Thank you Kevin for this very useful list. I could not find any similar list for European versions. And the AX58, and AX18, which I was thinking of buying are not listed. So I propose to buy two C80's and link them via existing ethernet cables between the floors of my house. Any comment would be welcome.

Options
2023-12-28 19:57:09

rodri66243 wrote

I still have a hope that the option to use Ethernet for the ax53v1 will come out

@rodri66243 I gave up, sold all my AX53v1, and switched to Xiaomi

@Kevin_Z Sorry I know it isn't good to say another brand here.

I know you are not in charge as well but hopefully, you can bring this feedback to the tech team so that you guys can learn and improve. I'll tell you what that young brand can do with all lines of products

First, they allow me to set up the Master/Controller Mesh Node as Access Point (not Router), so that I can use a very strong PC Router for DHCP.

Second, when I plug a fresh Mi Router into the system, it scans and knows that I'm already running a Mesh System in my network and it joins the Mesh Network automatically.

Third, the satellites don't need to connect directly to the master. They can just connect directly to the PC Router or any kind of switch. As long as they are in the same VLAN and see each other locally, Mesh will work.

So yeah, my network cabinet is under the basement, I don't have to put a useless wifi node under the basement to work as the Master/Controller, I can just connect 3 routers to walled ethernet ports in 3 rooms and have a complete clean setup.

Lastly, all above are still the same on Mi AX1800, which is a router that I bought 4 or 5 years ago (unlike my last year AX53)

Options
2023-12-28 22:48:51 - last edited 2023-12-28 22:52:08

@marrocksd The thing is that I don't understand how the ax53v1, which is newer than several routers that do have the function and has similar hardware, supports EasyMesh but not for use with Ethernet.

I never would have expected that my ax10 has it but not my ax53. At least, it would be good to know if it will be available in the future, but it's quite disappointing. I find it hard to believe that the ax53 can't use that function.

(By the way, I was very surprised about Xiaomi. I will take it into account if they don't do anything about the ax53.)

Options