Notification Bug on Android?

2024-01-12 20:19:08
Model: Tapo C510W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.1.1

Hi. Have just purchased a couple of these cameras and both appear working reasonably well apart from a couple of annoyances. I will post these under their respective topics but the first revolves around the false triggers to rain drops at night and the constant annoyong notifications. Reading through these forums it would appear that if I want motion tracking active I will have to live with the motion detection notifications (lowering the sensitivity doesn't work. I can only prevent raindrop detection by completely turning off motion tracking and retaining Person Tracking). However, I need the notifications in case of any genuine triggers but do not want the constant sound. On Android notifications there is an option to select the app creating the notifications and select whether you want sound or silent (or vibrate). Unfortunately the Tapo app seems to ignore or override these settings and will use a notification sound even when set to silent on the phone. I have a Google Pixel 5 & 6A both have the latest Android 14 with Nov security update. Any ideas whether the app or Android is at fault here (it's worse mentioning the phone notification options work fine with all the other apps I use)?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Notification Bug on Android?
2024-01-15 06:10:45

@DazAA 

Hi,
1. You can refer to the link below to see some tips to reduce motion detections from rain, snow, etc.
How to reduce motion detections from rain, snow, or insects, etc.?

The basic camera's detection mechanism is based on image changes between different frames. The frame is one of the many still images which compose the complete moving picture. If there is a difference between the frames, the camera will recognize it as a motion detected.
When it rains, the raindrops will cause a significant change in the image, therefore this kind of detection cannot be avoided.

2. Generally, the camera will send the related notifications to your phone when it detects events and when the notification feature is enabled on the camera, however, the sound of the notification depends on the settings of your phone, and the camera/Tapo app won't change the notification sound settings on your phone.
In your usage scenario, can you share the pictures of your phone's notification settings and a video showing the Tapo notifications ignore these settings for further analysis?

Best Regards

Options
2024-01-15 10:07:44

@Solla-topee thank you for your reply.

As you have stated, because there is no sound notification on/off option in the app settings, we are reliant on the phone sound settings. Unfortunately, on my phones (Google Pixel 5 & 6A with Android 14, Nov security update) even when these are set to silent (via Settings -> Notifications -> App Notifications -> Tapo (slider on) -> Miscellaneous (slider on) -> Silent, notification sounds are still heard. As you can imagine this gets annoying real quick when it is raining etc.

I have attached a screenshot of the Android Setting screen (reached as per the above) and a video of the notification sound being made regardless. This Android silent notification function seems to work flawlessly on all my other apps (Facebook, WhatsApp etc.)

File:
notification.pngDownload
Options
2024-01-15 10:24:21

@DazAA 

File:
b295908d-e13f-48da-bc14-0a17dd3a1d21.mp4Download
Options
2024-01-17 09:46:08

@DazAA 

Hi,
Thank you for the picture and video.
Generally, the detection notifications will be sent to your phone and the Tapo app, we did a test and found that the notifications sent to your Android phone will apply the notification settings you configured on your phone, but the notifications received on your Tapo app won't. 

In your usage scenario, whether you hear the notification sound only when you open the Tapo app?

Best Regards

Options
2024-01-18 10:43:09

@Solla-topee 

Hi. Thanks for the response and solution.

I have checked and you are correct although the app need not being used at the time. If it is still open, even in the background, the notification sound will come through unlike other apps such as Facebook where the notifications are silenced everywhere. Could not an option for sound on/off be added to the app as lets be honest a lot of people inadvertently tend to leave apps unclosed in the background on their phones? 

Options
2024-01-19 07:21:05

@DazAA 

Hello, 
Thank you for your feedback here, we certainly appreciate your feedback and feature request.
While we don't have any specific details that I can share about if this feature can come to the product/app or when it might, I'll log the feature request and pass it along to the team to evaluate.
Best Regards

Options