What can I do if the Tapo C420 can detect the new firmware 1.2.16 but can't upgrade successfully?

What can I do if the Tapo C420 can detect the new firmware 1.2.16 but can't upgrade successfully?

2024-02-07 10:13:46 - last edited 2024-02-07 10:15:21
Model: Tapo C420S2  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

This Article Applies to:

Tapo C420 with firmware version 1.2.15 or lower version

Phenomenon Description:

The C420 can detect the new firmware (version 1.2.16) on the camera’s Device Settings> Device Info> Firmware Version page and you can tap Update to update the camera’s firmware, however, the version number is still the same as the original one.
Several attempts can't help, and the C420’s firmware is not upgraded actually.

Solution:

Please go to the camera’s Device Settings> Battery Status> Solar Panel feature to turn it off, then back to the Device Info> Firmware Version page to update the firmware again. Once the camera’s firmware is updated, you can go to the Battery Status page to turn on the Solar Panel feature to use it.

Please help collect the device log refer to the following steps if the problem remains for further analysis.
1. Tap the Tapo H200 that the camera connects to on the Tapo app>Home tab.

2. Click on the Settings icon at the top right corner to go to its Device Settings page.

3. Go to the Diagnostics page and enable this feature.

4. Go to the C420’s Device Info> Firmware Version page to update the firmware to reproduce the problem.

5. Connect your phone to the same network as the Tapo hub H200, then go to the Tapo app> ME> Help & Feedback>Hubs>Feedback>select your hub, tap Next> type your username on the community, check Add System Logs, click on SEND FEEDBACK to send us the device log.

After that, send a private message to @Solla-topee (make sure you've registered or logged in with your TP-Link ID in our community first) with the format 'Forum ID 654456 + Tapo C420 can can't upgrade firmware” to remind us you have sent the device log. We will then continue to help in this case.

More Articles:

Common questions about the TP-Link camera's firmware
What to do if my Tapo Camera gets bricked after a firmware update?

Options
2 Reply
Re:What can I do if the Tapo C420 can detect the new firmware 1.2.16 but can't upgrade successfully?
2024-02-09 08:37:35 - last edited 2024-02-09 08:37:55

@Solla-topee 

I had the same issue. Can confirm disabling solar panel in settings allowed me to update. Thank you.

Options
Re:What can I do if the Tapo C420 can detect the new firmware 1.2.16 but can't upgrade successfully?
2024-02-11 08:55:47

@Copiedright  You are welcome~ glad to hear this tip helps you.

Options