Tapo smart cams stay offline when Wifi-router reboots

2024-04-03 15:59:04
Model: Tapo C225   Tapo C125  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.7 (C125) and 1.0.7 (C225)

I have a problem with Tapo C125 and C225 cams (Homekit enabled).
Whenever my router reboots (every 3 days) or the cameras lose connection, then my Tapo C125 and C225 cams won't reconnect to Wifi. They are offline then and stay offline forever (blue light blinking fast) until disconnect/reconnect from AC power.

Now I found a workaround:
I had to set my Wifi router to reject 5Ghz Wifi for Tapo camera Mac-adresses, so they won't try to connect to 5Ghz Wifi band. The cams don't support 5Ghz Wifi, but for a reason they try to connect to 5GHz Wifi first, or the router tries to connect to 5Ghz Wifi with them because they are Wifi6 devices.

Now they can only connect to 2.4Ghz Wifi band (because forced 5Ghz Wifi reject) and they do not lose connection anymore, even after reboot. Maybe this is possible to change in cameras firmware, because all my other 40 devices have not this problem and therefore it is not a router problem.

BR

Options
5 Reply
Re:Tapo smart cams stay offline when Wifi-router reboots
3 weeks ago

@pappl Update: 

I additionally disabled Smart Connect between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi on my Asus Wifi6 AX router and the cams immediately went online and showed up in Apple Home.

Smart Connect switches devices automatically to 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz based on signal strength. So for any reason the Tapo cams announce as 5Ghz capable devices and get assigned to 5Ghz band because the Smart Connect rule is set to prioritize devices with good signal strenght to 5Ghz band.

This seems to be a firmware issue of Tapo cams, isn't it?

There was an update for C220 cameras to fix connectivity issues, hope this will roll out for C225 and C125 too.

Options
3 weeks ago

@pappl 

Hi,
Generally, the camera will reconnect to the router's Wi-Fi automatically even if the smart connect is enabled on the router. In your situation, please check what's the router's 2.4G Wi-Fi channel after the smart connect feature is enabled.

What's the model number of your router?

Best Regards

Options
3 weeks ago

@pappl 

Router: ASUS TUF-AX5400

Update: Today morning the Tapo cams are all offline again, even with Smart Connect disabled.

I don't know what to do else.

Options
2 weeks ago

@pappl I have the same issue every day with my FritzBox router. I hope they update the firmware of the Tapo C125 very soon. Otherwise it is not usable. 

Options
2 weeks ago

@Markus6789 For the 2,4 and 5 GHz WLAN I have different SSIDs. So the Tapo Cam can only connect to the 2,4 GHz WLAN. Any settings there will not solve the issue, I assume 

Options