What can I do if my outdoor camera gets water ingress?

Wednesday - last edited Wednesday

The Tapo outdoor cameras are designed to be dustproof and waterproof. However, they may suffer water ingress under some special conditions, causing the live feed image to be blurry. Below are some tips to prevent water ingress into the camera and troubleshooting suggestions.

Part 1. For battery-powered cameras

1. For C420 or C400:
1) Ensure the battery back cover is in place. Align the indicator line on the cover with the arrow icon on the camera body. Press and rotate clockwise to the lock position to replace the cover.
2) Rotate and open the rear cover, and check if the gasket is deformed.

3) If you need to open the battery cover of C420 or C400, please do so in a clean and dry environment. Please ensure that no water droplets get inside the camera during the process of opening the cover.

2. Ensure the rubber cover is tightly closed. For example:

3. If you connect the camera to a solar panel, please don’t forget to install the Waterproof Gasket between the camera and the Solar Panel. The gasket protects your camera from exposed moisture and dust that may damage the camera. 
How to connect Tapo Solar Panel to compatible Tapo devices with proper Waterproof Gasket

Note: We cannot guarantee waterproof performance if you use a third-party solar panel to charge the camera.

4. In foggy weather, there may be water mist on the surface of the camera and the lens, but it will not affect the inside of the camera if it's installed properly. You can wipe the water mist on the surface of the lens with a paper towel or let it dry naturally.

5. For C420 or C400, if the camera accidentally gets water, please remove the battery as soon as possible to prevent the internal components of the camera from being damaged. After removing the battery, you can try to use the cold air of a hair dryer or a fan to dry the inside of the camera until there is no water mist, then check if you can continue using the camera.

If your battery-powered camera gets water ingress, please provide the following information for further analysis.
1. The pictures show the camera cover and waterproof gasket installed.
2. High-definition picture of the front of the lens (Please wipe the lens with a dry cloth before taking the photo to avoid misjudgment caused by water droplets on the lens surface).
3. Pictures of the camera's installation position, show the installation environment.
4. When the water ingress was discovered? Weather conditions? Such as extremely high temperatures or heavy rain.

Part 2. For other outdoor cameras

1. If the camera has antennas, check if the antenna has been excessively rotated, as this may cause the waterproof seal to be exposed and result in waterproof failure. 

2. Check if the SD card cover has been installed incorrectly.
If the SD card cover is installed upside down or if the screws are not tightened properly, the waterproof seal may not be able to adhere tightly to the housing, which could pose a risk of water getting inside.

3. Check for any damage or breakage in the tail wire position. Any damage in this area may cause water seepage.

4. Shake the camera and check for any abnormal sounds from the speaker.
If there are any abnormal sounds, it may be due to the speaker coming loose, which could lead to water ingress.

If your outdoor camera gets water ingress: 
1. If any of the above steps are abnormal, send us the corresponding pictures.

2. If the above steps are without issues, please provide the following information for further analysis.
1) High-definition picture of the front of the lens (Please wipe the lens with a dry cloth before taking the photo to avoid misjudgment caused by water droplets on the lens surface).
2) Pictures of the camera's installation position, show the installation environment.
3) When the water ingress was discovered? Weather conditions? Such as extremely high temperatures or heavy rain.

More Articles

How to position my TP-Link camera for optimal performance?
What can I do if the Tapo Solar Panel fails to charge the Tapo battery-powered cameras?
Detection Range Test: test the activity detection zone of the Tapo Battery Camera

Options