set data limitation and throttle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-27 14:20:29 - last edited 2022-09-28 05:42:39
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I need a way to set a data limitation and throttle so my isp doesn't over charge me.

ie: I may have a 1tb monthly cap from ISP, my family streams and games a lot. I need to be able to set a limit of say 800gb / month, then throttle it down. But i still need full speeds for work (i work remote from home as software engineer), so maybe i just want to throttle down streaming and gaming after this 800gb/month data limit. this is a repeating event every month.

Is this doable via a firmware / software udpate in the router? Is this something tp-link can take up as a feature request?

Options
2 Reply
Re:set data limitation and throttle
2022-09-28 00:19:30

@robbiex,

I will add this to our feature request list that we have for our engineers. I think that a similar functionality would be achieved by throttling the QoS Settings on your router, but that is wide impacting and is a pain to change.

Unfortunately, most settings that I have seen relating to Datacaps are on the individual devices, where you can set a warning on how much data the device has used and to limit background data refreshes.

The other issue with your request is that you are only limiting the speed of data transmission, not the actual quantity of data flowing. Online Gaming, doesn't actually take that much data, depending on the game, and the total amount of GB would still climb over your usual. 

Personal Note: If youre entire family is streaming and gaming and therefore crowding your data limit, I really would recommend looking at the upgrade options from your ISP. Most ISPs offer unlimited data upgrades for $50 a month, and it really did take a huge stress off of my shoulders when I made the decision to upgrade to unlimited data. I never realized how often I would close out of tabs, or limit data on my phone because of the caps.

Options
Re:set data limitation and throttle
2022-09-28 14:21:19

Riley_S wrote

@robbiex,

I will add this to our feature request list that we have for our engineers. I think that a similar functionality would be achieved by throttling the QoS Settings on your router, but that is wide impacting and is a pain to change.

Unfortunately, most settings that I have seen relating to Datacaps are on the individual devices, where you can set a warning on how much data the device has used and to limit background data refreshes.

The other issue with your request is that you are only limiting the speed of data transmission, not the actual quantity of data flowing. Online Gaming, doesn't actually take that much data, depending on the game, and the total amount of GB would still climb over your usual. 

Personal Note: If youre entire family is streaming and gaming and therefore crowding your data limit, I really would recommend looking at the upgrade options from your ISP. Most ISPs offer unlimited data upgrades for $50 a month, and it really did take a huge stress off of my shoulders when I made the decision to upgrade to unlimited data. I never realized how often I would close out of tabs, or limit data on my phone because of the caps.

Correct. I have QoS, but it only goes so far for this issue.

It's an ISP cap, and apparently some family members such as younger teens don't care. They are just having fun. Would be nice to be able to throttle speeds to specific devices, that would even work. 

Since i cannot cap their devices, then the gateway is my next best option i can think of to limit specific devices from hogging. I also don't want to spend more on unlimited data. Am already paying a premium for GB speeds. This is a few times only, but its an arm and a leg paying for these extra costs when it does happen.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 407

Replies: 2

Related Articles