Disappointing slow WIFI 6 speed AX11000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-18 15:50:00
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

Im really dissapointed by the AX11000 !!! sold my old Tplink Ac5400 and wait 4 month to have the $ to buy the AX11000 and really was sad by its preformance !
I have an iphone 14 pro with AX and Macbook pro with AX and Apple tv 4k with AX and none of tem reach higher than 600MB speed !!! while my older wifi on AC reached the 600MB speed ! so thought the AX would at least reach the 800/900mb ou of the 1Gbps speed and no ! it wont pass 600MB though built in speed test give a 950MB speed ! and cabeld devices reach 1Gbps and 930mb ! so Whats wrong with the wirelss speed ! the devices are 1 meter and sometimes 2 meter away and wifi speed wont pass 600MB on 5g band with AX :( Plz some hlep !!!
another friend has an asus ( I run an Asus RT-AX86U router on a 1.2 Gbps Xfinity plan. ) is getting 1Gbps on a Samsung s21 plus ) so dont see why my AX11000 cant reach this speed !!!!

Options
9 Reply
Re:Disappointing slow WIFI 6 speed AX11000
2022-11-18 17:52:53

@FGARS2,

If you have more devices than your friend, your speeds may be lower because the router is reserving some bandwidth for your other devices in case they go online.

There are definitely settings that can be changed to potentially limit this effect, such as editing or disabling your QoS, as this is the most beneficial to users that receive under 300 Mbps from their ISP. I have seen users on other threads report success by simply manually setting the QoS speed to the expected speeds form your ISP, or slightly above them.

If you disable the Smart Connect Feature, and connect to the bands separately, are the speed results the same?

Try to change the DNS server to a common server such as Cloudflare or Google's servers, depending on your relative location to the servers, changing the DNS server can sometimes result in a pretty large jump.

Options
2022-11-18 18:04:18

@Riley_S Hi Riley ! i just have the 3 cabled devices but all are off, and on wifi only my macbook pro and iphone 14 pro ! i changed the SSID name to make the tests ! and even doing this cant pass the over 600mb with ax ! I changed port from auto to 1000mb dublex and QoS i changed it to manula at 1Gbps also didnt hlep ! dont know how to disable it ! didnt see any option to turn it off or i didnt look corectly !! didnt try the DNS ! i will check that ! one thing i noitce putting router to AP mode made wifi speed go to 690mb/710mb ! but im losing lot of router advanced option ! 

Options
2022-11-18 18:18:53

@Riley_S forgot , yes turning off samrt connect still give same results ! maybe 5% diff not that huge thing ! tried even separting the 2.4 with 20hz anf 5.1 with 40hz and 5.2 with 80 or 160 ! setting at 160 give link of almost 4Gbps between tplink and iphone but still speed wont pass the 500/600 mb out of 1 Gbps !

Options
2022-11-18 18:23:29

@FGARS2,

If the device was working in AP mode, I would be inclined to believe that you may actually have two routers on your network. An Access Point should not be able to assign IP addresses to devices to provide an internet connection, as it passes that responsibility onto the router with the DHCP server that is on the network.

What modem/gateway are you connected to, and who is your ISP?

Does the modem offer wireless functionality? If so, make sure to place the device into Bridge or Passthrough Mode, as this could affect your network's overall performance.

Options
2022-11-18 18:54:04

@Riley_S 

ya actually my isp modem has built in Wi-Fi that I turned them off but bridge mode is disabled can't be changed so it's always on ! A friend of mine said to buy an unblocked modem ( Nokia ) that can give me option to switch it off ! So I remembered I'm having double NAT too but didn't think this can impact Wi-Fi on TP-Link cos the built in speed on TP-Link is giving 980/940mb so means it's getting the 1Gbps ! Does it make a diff in AP mode to plug cable to Wan or Lan ? So not beeing able to bridge impact Wi-Fi speed even if it's getting the full speed ? So my best open to buy the unblocked modem and put it in bridge ? In the mean time while I can't do this what's the best option ? Thank you so much 

Options
2022-11-18 21:47:13

@FGARS2,

You may be able to contact your ISP or look in their application to see if the functionality can be disabled on your gateway(the official term for a combo unit).

Unless you have Verizon as your ISP and you are using their TV service alongside your Internet Service, you should have no problem switching to a regular modem. (Verizon Modems broadcast a Hidden SSID for only Verizon TV Streaming Boxes, without the Verizon router, your TV boxes will not receive a signal)

Because your gateway is operating as a router, the speeds and other settings of the gateway will be applied on top of the settings for the traffic on the Archer.  Your Archer Router is essentially making calculations based on another router's calculations or info. You added an additional 'hop' into your network that could introduce delays or impact how the router is using QoS. I'm not positive how much of an effect this configuration has on speeds, but it makes your network far more stable and easier to troubleshoot. Any additional 'hops' in the network increase the probability of the signal being impacted or delayed. Even the Deco Mesh Units are not recommended to have more than 3 hops.

Honestly, I am mildly surprised that you haven't had other issues with specific sites or services, as this configuration can cause chaos in some networks. I would assume that by turning off the wireless functionality, you were able to turn off most of the features that were interfering, but there is no way to know for sure without going really in-depth. Do you have any clue why you would not be able to toggle the bridge function on?

tl;dr

• Either way. until the first router is removed from your network, it is recommended that you use your system as an AP, as Access Points are meant to extend a network where there is already a router present. Having two 'routers' in your network can cause a lot of unexpected behaviors across networked devices. Depending on the Gateways features, the Archer and Gateway may be having to communicate with each other to make sure that the network is stable.

• Also, if you are buying just a regular modem, there is no 'bridge' function, as the device is only operating as a Modem, and not as a Modem/Router Combo. Think back 15 years when every network had to have separate modems and routers for their network.

• In AP Mode, The LAN ports will still function as expected, with clients able to connect to the internet via Ethernet, as a result, you will want to keep using the WAN port.

• Your ISP should provide a list of devices that are guaranteed to work with their service, or you may be able to rent a modem rather than a gateway.

--

Lastly, besides the modem connection.

I would recommend looking at potentially changing the wireless channel and channel widths on your Archer router. It is possible that your signal is just being degraded from interference, and that your network would perform better on less crowded channels.  Changing Channel and Channel Width on a TP-Link Router (new logo)

I would recommend using a Wi-Fi analyzer app on your phone to try and find uncrowded channels. (Warning: even though a channel may appear empty, it may be full of interference from appliances or other non-networking factors.)

When you are checking the wireless speed, make sure to check multiple times. From both different locations in your home, and with different servers and services. The server selected in your speed test apps is highly dependent on the capabilities of or the route to a specific server, and when checking via a wireless connection is even more dependent on the factors in your environment.

Options
2022-11-24 06:25:55

@FGARS2 

You can try updating to the early release version of firmware for Archer AX11000 in the following link:

Early Release VPN Client Firmware for Archer AX11000 V1

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-11-24 11:48:10

@Liverpool20 Thank you !!! ill upgrade it today ! is this beta ? cos i checked for update 2 days ago and said it was in the latest avilabel ! thanks again

Options
2022-11-25 02:33:16

@Riley_S Hello, First of all thank you for your time and all the explantion !
Sadly my provider wont allow bridge mode and its grayed out cant be chnaged etc, so I'm only now getting back to you, cos i just recived a Nokia modem that is unblocked and was able to change to Bridge Mode !!! Finally !!!
So my wifi speeds in smart connect or even making 3 separate network never passed the 620MB and usually satys around 350/580MB !!! 
After replacing the old Nokia with the new one and putting it to bridge my Wifi speeds saw an improvament ! now im getting solid 600/680MB and reaching up to 750MB maybe once or twice it got to 820/830MB on speedtest.net ! I think now this is an exelente results, my wifi analayzer shows signal strength around 92% to 98% cos of the interfernce with nighbor signal so I'm sure if it was around 95% to 100% i might get 900Mb or more !!!
The strange thing Netflix Fast.com gave me speeds from 720Mb up to 950MB and once it hit the 1Gbps ! dont know if fast.com is a good surce to mesure !
Just wanted to ask you ! i change QoS value to 1Gbps and upload to 600MB is there anything else i can do after putting my modem to bridge mode ? any configuration on AX11000 need to be changed or enabeled ?

Thank you so much for your time !!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 942

Replies: 9