Puzzling behavior

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Puzzling behavior

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Puzzling behavior
Puzzling behavior
2022-11-23 17:06:37 - last edited 2022-11-23 18:20:34
Model: TL-SG1016DE  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20180629 Rel.58355

Never mind, I figured it out: My TP-Link switch apparently will "lock out" a port for some unknown reason, disabling it until I physically power-cycle the Switch (pull the plug and reconnect.) After I did that, the dead port came back to life. Soft rebooting the switch through the management app did NOT do the job, i had to power the unit dow. Does anyone know why this happens, and how I can prevent it from happening again? And why the heck the management app doesn't indicate that a port is in this condition?

==============================

For the second time, with a different device, I am experiencing no IP when connected directly to the switch (either of two different ports), BUT, I get a connection just fine through a cascaded unmanaged switch, or even double-cascaded switches. The Monitor function in the management app shows 0 transmitted packets to that port, though some received. I've tried changing the settings for the port, to no avail (reverting to the normal setting). I've tried rebooting the switch, as well as my router. The cable test reports a normal, 1-M cable. How the heck can the device work fine if I insert a second switch after the TP-Link, but not when connected directly? I'm stumped. If anyone has any insights, please chime in.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Puzzling behavior
2022-11-28 20:43:41

@gallde,

It sounds as though it may be disconnecting because of just an IP problem and the unmanaged switch bridges the gap between the devices. Have you tried setting an IP reservation in the switch or router, and a static IP on the device? This may be just enough to prevent whatever setting is causing the disconnect to be overruled

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
Re:Puzzling behavior
2022-11-28 21:26:22

@Riley_S Yes, I did have an IP reservation and static IP on the device, but it still would not connect when connected to the switch directly. As i mantioned in my follow-up, though, the problem diaappeared when I simply physically power-cycled the TP-Link Switch. So, something in the switch was locking out my device getting IP. It's the second time it happened, with a different device last time.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 435

Replies: 2

Related Articles